MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/20/20 is Rewind.

One of the fairer free spells just because countering generally gets exponentially worse the more mana you have to keep open for it. (That's why Mental Misstep is strong even though it's theoretically a force for fairness.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Rewind is probably the only "free" spell that isn't overpowered to the point of near bah-rokenness. With all the others you can get some really ridiculous mana generation going, but since Rewind is a reactive spell, that doesn't really happen with it. Usually you just end up with enough mana to cast a second counterspell should it be needed.

Speaking of "free" spells, I really need to make a deck with a few "free" creatures and Equilibrium for commander. You know, for fun, and not at all for infinite mana generation... :laughing:
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

I remember all the discussions comparing this and Dismiss when they were both in.
Dismiss let you draw a card, which was good 100% of the tme.
Rewind let you untap, making it free, but it only mattered some of the time.

Of course, Rewind came at the same time as Combo Winter. This made Rewind the better choice if you went with a 4cc counter. After Winter ended, Dismiss slowly gained more ground until rotation. Masque was slow enough that Rewind was a solid choice, even with Daze, Foil, and Thwart in the mix. I know it was a staple in my White-Blue control.

It's a very solid design, and I consider it by far the fairest free spell.
It's on my mental list of comparing what I make to.

I'm in the "everything should be the same power level" camp, and I think Rewind is in that perfect medium where cards should be.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Reactive-only free spells seem like a great space to play in.

Stutter Step UU
Instant (U)
Attacking creatures without flying get -2/-0 until end of turn. Untap up to two lands.

Twisted Chronology 1UU
Instant (R)
Copy target instant or sorcery spell you don't control. You may choose new targets for the copy. Untap up to three lands.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Stutter Step could be common without issue I think, might even be fine as a common for 1U, as it is basically a blue "fog" effect.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/24/20 is Alesha, Who Smiles at Death.

1000 years ago correct timeline khan had the best war-name.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Bonus points, she was trans (M to F). And yes, that is official.

Also, a great card for Warrior Tribal support in Commander. A *lot* of warrior creatures cost 2 or less.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Also, a great card for Warrior Tribal support in Commander. A *lot* of warrior creatures cost 2 or less.
Let's hope they also have power 2 or less.

I really like that cards look more and more at different stats than converted mana cost like power and toughness, but I also notice how often it creates moments like these were players just assume until the moment they actually play the card and a particular interaction suddenly doesn't work.

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

There's a decent chunk of 2/x warriors, I think. So, good enough?

Alesha does her job pretty well. Anyone with repeatable small reanimation effects will make me think of one thing, though: creatures with small bodies and decent ETB triggers. It's sadly kinda hard to get very reliable recycling going without some other cards on the go, or it'd be a decent card to help shore up a group with, say, Beetleback Chief or splicers. There's a lot you can do with this kind of ability, and Alesha is in a good color combination for playing around with it.

I generally liked the Fate Reforged Khans quite a bit, Daghatar aside (he had a potentially nice ability which imo costed a little too much to activate). Alesha might be the best aside from Tasigur.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Legitimately 231 cards are Warriors in Alesha's color identity and with base power 2 or less.

Some of them are maybe more interesting to reanimate than the rest.

So that's the challenge right now, I think, right? Design an expensive Warrior creature that Alesha can reanimate.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Let's hope they also have power 2 or less.

I really like that cards look more and more at different stats than converted mana cost like power and toughness, but I also notice how often it creates moments like these were players just assume until the moment they actually play the card and a particular interaction suddenly doesn't work.
I meant power. I really shouldn't write posts when I've just rolled out of bed. >.<

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Couple of randos to combo with Alesha.

Krumar Justiciar 4BB
Creature - Orc Warrior (R)
When Krumar Justiciar enters the battlefield, destroy target non-Warrior creature.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Krumar Justiciar.
W, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Krumar Justiciar: Create two 1/1 white Warrior creature tokens.
2/4

Lasso Master 3RR
Creature - Human Warrior (R)
Double strike
When Lasso Master enters the battlefield, you gain control of target creature an opponent controls until that creature deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker. That creature attacks each turn if able as long as you control it.
1/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/25/20 is Decree of Silence.

Quite apart from this card's power level, the fact that it's an enchantment member of an instant and sorcery cycle makes it an amazing trivia answer.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I like Decree of Silence, it plays in the same space as Hesitation, in being a permanent that is a counterspell that your opponent can chose to trigger (or not), blue white also has access to some decent enchantment recursion in commander, which could allow you to put down a semi-lock, particularly if you can limit the number of spells you opponents can cast each turn. Of course, you wouldn't be particularly popular if you did, but you could.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
I like Decree of Silence, it plays in the same space as Hesitation, in being a permanent that is a counterspell that your opponent can chose to trigger (or not), blue white also has access to some decent enchantment recursion in commander, which could allow you to put down a semi-lock, particularly if you can limit the number of spells you opponents can cast each turn. Of course, you wouldn't be particularly popular if you did, but you could.
You could also go the counter removal route with cards like Thrull Parasite or especially Hex Parasite

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

Ah yes, Decree of Silence, one of the few permanents of yours that your opponents will want to proliferate (if they can...). It's always struck me as a very weird card because of how little control you actually have over its countering effect. There have been a small number of cards since then that operate similarly, e.g. Lunar Force. Definitely this is one for the combo decks. What to do with this? I'm not 100% sure.

So I'll go the slightly easy route.

Filtering Squelch 1UB
Creature - Sponge Horror(U)
Menace
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, remove a counter from target nonland permanent.
2/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Works for me! Weirdly fitting use of the Sponge type. This looks like the signpost uncommon if the UB theme were persist.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Here's my signpost riff:

Spell-Ebb Crab WU
Creature - Crab (U)
Whenever a spell or ability you control counters a spell, you may exile target permanent. If you do, return that permanent to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
3/1

Continually reset your Decree of Silence when you hit two, but leave an opening. I think in a "healthy" context this card is fair.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/26/20 is Xantid Swarm.

Justified green flying?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Green is technically tertiary in flying, but the card could easily have been blue (as it feels very blue) or white (Silence effect). But if blue it could rapidly become very oppressive. That said, green did used to have ways to prevent opponents from casting spells (Hall of Gemstone and City of Solitude being the prime examples), but I am not sure it is still in color pie for Green.

Hmmm...

Xantid Sting 2G
Sorcery (R)
Target opponent can't play spells this turn.
Draw a card.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Every color is theoretically at least tertiary in flying because some cycles require flying.

The "opponents can't cast during your turn" thing is still green.

Clickweevil Swarm G
Creature - Insect (R)
Hexproof
Whenever Clickweevil Swarm attacks, defending player can't activate abilities that aren't mana abilities this turn and whenever a triggered ability that player controls is triggered this turn, counter it.
0/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/27/20 is Savannah Lions.

What's not to like? It is THE white vanilla. Also, probably the only card I can think of that has been common, uncommon, and rare.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

And it started at rare, went to uncommon, and became a common.

Savannah Lions is a pretty great card and was long a staple of White Weenie decks. Drop this on turn one, follow up with a Crusade and hit your opponent for three on turn 2. Good times.

This is also probably the only one mana vanilla card I could ever imagine playing in commander (if I was playing a tribal cat deck).

Hmmm....

Lion Guide 1W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1.
When the enchanted creature dies, create a white 2/1 Cat creature token named "Savannah Lions".

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Lion Guide is a nice double homage and I think it could even cost W at uncommon, especially in something like Modern Horizons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”