MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
Retroactive Deepening bb
Enchantment
, Pay 1 life, Reveal a card from your hand: If the next spell you play this turn is a black spell with the same name as the one you revealed, that spell costs less to cast. Play this ability only once each turn.
Mind Stone costs {2}, doesn't cost you life, board cycles, and also works on spells of any color and even those costing e. g. {1}{B} with a far more simple text to make it work "once each turn".

I'm not certain making this work multiple times a turn cycle is intentional, but it doesn't sell me on the complicated wording.

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

Not really sure what to do with Recover. It's a pretty basic design. I feel silly for missing out on shadow discussion. I kinda prefer Bone Harvest and its near-functional-reprints to Recover, even if they're probably worse. Either way, a block does need at least one Raise Dead effect, right?
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Cantrip Raise Dead. Not really playable in anything but limited. Has never had an impact on standard.

Now, that said...

Rouse Corpse 4B
Sorcery
Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Draw a card.
I'd probably put this at 3BB, but it works. Reanimating from your graveyard with a small benefit at CMC5 is pretty much the norm at this point.
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
the world is full of cards which cost 2b which I want to cost bb and that's just one of them. kinda makes me think:

Retroactive Deepening bb
Enchantment
, Pay 1 life, Reveal a card from your hand: If the next spell you play this turn is a black spell with the same name as the one you revealed, that spell costs less to cast. Play this ability only once each turn.
The problem is that this isn't very useful of a thing to print as a card, although you're not wrong about the design matter of wanting some 2B cards at BB. For example...

Cheaper Syphon Soul BB
Sorcery
For each opponent, ~ deals 2 damage to that player and you gain 2 life.

Slightly More Audacious Thief BB
Creature - Human Rogue
Whenever ~ attacks, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
2/2

Shadowy Abductor BB
Creature - Dauthi Minion
T: Target creature gains shadow until end of turn.
1/1

Okay, I guess I managed to bring Shadow into it in the end anyway.

For my money, black cards that are harder to splash for (i.e. BB+ costs) seem like they fit more. Obviously it's not always the best choice from a design stance (even some of the above things I threw around are probably badly designed...), but black is selfish and openly so; the idea of having to spend only black mana for a spell feels right from a flavor perspective. With the exception of Crimson Hellkite and Atalya, Samite Master (the latter of which fits with white's "purity" angle), black has a monopoly on cards that require you to spend only mana of their color on them. Granted, that's still pretty rare because it's not a good mechanic, but you get where I'm coming from. I hope.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/9/20 is Thalakos Mistfolk.

Hey, we can keep talking about shadow after all!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Ah yes, Thalakos Mistfolk, from when WotC experimented with blue selfbounce to protect creatures. Note that this card and a few others didn't bounce themselves to hand, but to the top of your library, thus denying you a draw. Not surprisingly this part of the experiment didn't pan out well.

Hmm....

Thalakos Mistwalker 2U
Creature - Thalakos Illusion Rogue
Shadow
1U: Return Thalakos Mistwalker to its owners hand.
2/1
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

M00NSIDIAN

Well, alright, let's talk about shadow.

So uh, the thing I was going to bring up about shadow is that it seems like a hard mechanic to strike the right balance with. With too few creatures, it feels like it's just the Tormented Soul rules text, and with too many, it can feel borderline-pointless, at least inside of limited/standard for that set. It also appears in only three colors outside of a single R/W in Soltari Guerrillas. The remaining two don't have much in the way of dealing with it, with green providing one creature and the aura Aether Web to block shadows, and Reality Anchor as an even more situational card to handle them. Meanwhile, red has two blockers for shadows, and Shadowstorm. Ultimately... it ends up feeling really, really small as it appeared in the Tempest block. But at least Dauthi Embrace is pretty handy in EDH, and it's a good idea as an ability goes (and is fairly simple to grasp) -- not to mention pretty flavorful as regards what it represents.

Speaking of things that feel under-utilized: there are very few Thalakos in general, with only 7 (except changlings, Mistform Ultimus or other effects giving the creature type), compared to the Soltari and Dauthi having 10 each (except changelings blah blah blah). "Between" in every way, indeed. Of these, a whopping three made it to Tempest Remastered, including Thalakos Scout, whose similarities to today's card are awfully numerous. It's a shame, because they're one of the more interesting creature types in Magic. Honestly, most of the creature types from the Rath Cycle are really cool and I want to see more of them in general.

So, let's see what we can do here for these fellas.

Thalakos Mystic 1UU
Creature - Thalakos Wizard
Shadow
U, T: Return another target Thalakos creature you control to its owner's hand.
2/2

Thalakos Wanderer 4U
Creature - Thalakos
Shadow
When ~ dies, shuffle it into its owner's library.
3/1

The Thalakos' main theme aside from being shadow creatures seems to be escape. Well, that and "standard blue stuff" in general, but the fact that there's another creature so similar to today's card inspires me at least in that regard -- so I decided to continue along a similar theme.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Fun thing to note, the flavor text of the various races with shadow in Rath seem to indicate that they are all originally from the same plane and ended up getting stuck in a sort of shadowy limbo when the Phyrexians stole some of their world to make up part of Rath. Indeed, most, if not all of Rath that wasn't comprised of flowstone was originally bits and pieces of other worlds, which is why there was such a diverse group of races on the planes. Personally I'd love to visit the world that Skyshroud and Rootwater was originally from for example.

But back to the shadow mechanic, as MOONSIDIAN pointed out, the mechanic was woefully under utilized, which incidentally, helped both White Weenie and Sui-Black decks to really compete in Type2/Standard at the time.

Thalakos Embrace 1U
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has shadow.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/11/20 is Boomerang.

The most powerful tempo card from the era before tempo was known as a thing.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

And then they printed Capsize, which is Boomerang on steroids. During the Tempest era I used to have a control deck that contained 26 counter spells of various sorts, four capsize, and four creatures. The rest of the deck was islands. It was very effective. I then reduced the counterspells to 24 and added two Treasure Trove, then it became even more effective.

Anyway,

Keel Over 2UU
Instant
Buyback 4
Return target nonland, nonplaneswalker permanent to its owner's hand.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/12/20 is Thoughtweft Trio.

I always have thought champion was neat.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Me too! Big fan of Wormfang Drake and Fleetfoot Panther, too!

The way it replaces the usual drawback of a big creature (costs enough that your removal-having opponent gets a big advantage just by trading their card for yours) with a creative drawback is something I want to see more often; I feel like thematically you shouldn't just be putting a 4/4 into play for no cost beyond mana, it should involve some sort of gamble or disadvantage. Guess I miss the days when every Demon had a crazy textbox!

Mistbind Clique pushes the keyword a bit too much, cos Flash turns it into an undercosted rescue/flicker mechanic over the course of a few turns.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Champion was neat, it was just in a block that had serious problems, both with art direction (The Kithkin looked straight out of the uncanny valley, making them extremely creepy, unlike the more traditional halflingesque Kithkin of Dominaria), and with one tribe being so over powered that it warped Standard for the entire run it was legal in it (Faeries), which made the block unfun to play.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/13/20 is Triskaidekaphobia.

Genuinely, this is what I randomed for Friday the 13th. I like this card a lot! It's a very eccentric alt win.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Triskaidekaphobia is really, really good in Extort decks and black/white drain in general.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/15/20 is Lava Blister.

One of my favorite punisher designs. The problem, of course, with punisher designs is ending up with a whole lot of damage-to-face spells.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 4 years ago

A formatting that could offer a lot more "room" for designs in that vein would be something like this:

Lava Blister 1r
Sorcery
Target land's controller chooses one:
  • Destroy the land
  • Take 6 damage
---

Not sure what precedent there is for such "other person chooses a mode" spells, and I can't think of a better wording. But it means that there can be more than two options, alongside all the other mechanics with modal spells.

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Morpic_Tide wrote:
4 years ago
A formatting that could offer a lot more "room" for designs in that vein would be something like this:

Lava Blister 1r
Sorcery
Target land's controller chooses one:
  • Destroy the land
  • Take 6 damage
You don't want the person who chooses modes be a target. There is an order to choosing modes and targets and this screws majorly with that. How do you imagine your spell works if the spell is redirected and/or copied with new targets chosen?

Modal choices (the ones that now use bullet points) are always done during casting.

Optional choices like "may A. Otherwise B." or "B unless A" are done during resolution. Those easily can depend on targets chosen.

The real issue is that your bullet point method doesn't even actually provide any more options. Torment shows how the "unless" wording is perfectly capable of handling additional options e. g. Torment of Hailfire/Torment of Scarabs. Three options right there.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/16/20 is Wayfaring Temple.

Great name.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Great name, and a great card for Selesnya token decks. Only thing that could make it better without breaking it completely is if it has trample, and green/white shouldn't have a problem with granting that.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/17/20 is Rats of Rath.

That's Jxnny bait.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Many people didn't get what it was for when it was originally made, then they discovered ways to temporarily steal your opponents stuff...

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/23/20 is Whipcorder.

Who can name the Mercenary from Onslaught block though?

M00NSIDIAN

SPOILER
Show
Hide
but I had to look that up so I guess I'm kind of a fraud.

Anyway, morph creatures with activated abilities feel very weird (not counting stuff like regeneration or abilities that buff the creature with the ability). I'm not sure it's a bad idea, though, since it does theoretically give some amount of surprise value. But also, a lot of my ideas feel really basic for doing things with this, which is probably fine.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

SPOILER
Show
Hide
It turns out Legions also has one: Goblin Turncoat. What a strange set.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/24/20 is Elvish Archdruid.

I like this design a lot. Amazing how Priest of Titania gets so much fairer for one more mana, even when it has extra bonuses.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/26/20 is Firewing Phoenix.

The simplest Phoenix design of all?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”