MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Good job pointing out how Familiar Ground has been away for so long. However, we JUST got a mass version of it, although not for every creature - Challenger Troll.

"Block only with one" has been used recently and relatively often, but it's unlike menace because it's not actually evasion - it doesn't stop creatures blocking, it stops them dying. Which is why other effects are preferred for green to give that color evasion other than trample.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/29/20 is Volcanic Rush.

That is some art, and I'm glad to have stalemate breakers like this at common in Limited.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/4/20 is Forked Lightning.

Interesting asymmetry in the amount of damage and targets.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/5/20 is Territorial Gorger.

Keep hitting red. Anyway my favorite aspect of Kaladeshi lore is the Great Aether Cycle's five representative races, of which Gremlins are one (in the fourth step, Liberation, for those keeping track).

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 4 years ago

The things to note, here, are the high-value keyword at an unusually low cost, and conditionally vanilla-or-better stats to go with it that is not a resource expenditure of its own. In White, this would be an Ajani's Pridemate sidegrade, trading buff permanence for Double Strike or somesuch, while Blue might have a Flash Flyer with buffs for drawing cards, if one were to stick for upside on gathering resources.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

I liked the flavor of the gremlins, feeding upon the artifice of the world, but having not read any of the story for Kaladesh, I always felt like they were just sort of there to fill space in red, rather than an important feature of the set.

Forked Lightning would be a hot draft pick in this era, I feel like it could be dug up and perform beautifully.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/6/20 is Victimize.

Some stylish and powerful reanimation, and would you get a load of that flavor text? A powerful story moment.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/8/20 is Cathodion.

Funnily enough, the last time this card was in a Standard-level set, it had an ability that could potentially be a drawback due to mana burn.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Quick riff before I forget:

Anodion C
Artifact Creature - Construct (C)
When Anodion dies, add one mana of any color.
Shaped of Thran powerstone and Equilorean magic by Magarian hands.
1/1

M00NSIDIAN
Pronoun: they / them

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

I think something like that works a bit better than Cathodion (or its big brother Su-Chi, and is a more interesting design than Myr Moonvessel.

Removing mana burn made those three cards way easier and less risky to use and turned the two bigger ones into fairly efficient colorless creatures (although it feels like creatures in general have gotten more efficient, so I'm not out here calling them busted or anything).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/10/20 is Halls of Mist.

I kind of like this design - it's certainly less oppressive than The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale or Glacial Chasm.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

If this didn't appear on a land, you could cost this so t doesn't require a cumulative upkeep cost either. Actually it could be cheaper than Blazing Archon even if it wasn't symmetric. I could imagine a one-sided version of this effect on a multiplayer-oriented uncommon. There are other cards that can shut down a race hard in Limited.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/12/20 is Greed.

The classic Fixed Necro! So classic... it was actually printed 12 months earlier than Necropotence.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Greed is awesome. I have it in my Orzhov Commander deck (Featuring a Taysa as the commander, any of the three work well for the deck), as it is a better card draw engine for a commander deck than Necropotence as you still have your regular draw step. And the life cost is a non issue thanks to Extort.

I have used it in other commander decks that include black as well, as it has another advantage over Necropotence in the format. Only one colored mana symbol in the casting cost.

As for in custom set creation, I wouldn't have any issue with using it if I didn't make a variant that uses one of the mechanics of the set and the set would benefit from black card draw. It's a very solid card.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Eh? Maybe so.

Nighttime Labors 1BB
Enchantment (R)
When Nighttime Labors enters the battlefield, you draw a card and lose 1 life.
Pay 1 life, Tap an untapped creature with lifelink you control: Draw a card.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/14/20 is Backslide.

A bit lenticular for getting your own morph triggers again. Plus, cycling is appreciated on a card like this.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The only real issue I have with this card is that it usually makes it easier for the opponent to kill the creature if they are playing red. On the other hand, morph doesn't use the stack.

Still I can see something like the following going down:

Player #1: I cast Backslide, targeting my Brine Elemental.
Player #2: Cool, I cast Shock on your Brine Elemental. I hope you have a Counterspell or something.
Player #1: I don't...
Player #2: Nice, my Shock resolves, dealing 2 damage to your Brine Elemental, then Backslide turns it face down, and it dies as a state based effect due to the damage marked on it. Want to do anything else on your turn?
Player #1: No...

Something like this would be better:

Retract
1U
Instant (Common)
Return target permanent you control with morph to its owner's hand.
Cycling U

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Retract is good but serves a different function. I think Backslide was primarily meant to be used on opponents' morph creatures, to make them easier to remove or to reduce what they could do in combat.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Retract is good but serves a different function. I think Backslide was primarily meant to be used on opponents' morph creatures, to make them easier to remove or to reduce what they could do in combat.
Well, you know what they say about good intentions. ;)

The intent was to use it opponents creatures, but what it was used for was to get more out of your own. The only thing balancing it in standard at the time was that there existed effective point removal in multiple colors. As I mentioned, something as simple as a shock could end your creature if you backslide'd it. As an offensive spell, it is quite fine, but use it on your own creatures and it suddenly becomes much worse (but was still played a lot).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/15/20 is Pollenbright Druid.

Now THAT'S lenticularity!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Pollenbright Druid is a great deck, and a good, and cheap proliferate enabler. It's fairly easy to get out on turn 2, and then start proliferating by dropping another on turn 3. And should you get it later in the game, it's still proliferate for 2 mana, which can be hilariously good. All in all a great common.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 12/18/20 is Killing Wave.

The intersection of X and "punisher" is interesting.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The only use this card as is that it has the potential to put your opponent into range of a drain spell. As black mass removal goes, it's not that good.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/19/20 is Lightning Reaver.

A rare creature that uses charge counters. Plus: The Fallen reference!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Lightning Reaver is nasty in commander, particularly if you have a way to put additional counters on it (like, say with proliferate). If you think, or know, that your opponent has it in their deck, you need to save removal for it unless a bigger threat enters the battlefield first.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”