MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Sadly power creep has made Giant Strength obsolete, there is now a slew of red aura's that grant +2/+2 for 1R, many of them even have an upside. Which is unfortunate, because the flavor of Giant Strength is on point.

That said, adding an appropriate keyword would still make it, if not good, at least playable.

Giant's Rage RR
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has trample.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

I love the rr mana cost, scryfall says it's only been used 38 times in the game's whole history. Dense, evocative little costs like that vanish into the rare, templated card slot real quick when everything else has to be part of a splashable draft archetype.

my take'd be like
Giant Strength 2021 rr
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +4/+1.
When Giant Strength 2021 leaves play, sacrifice the permanent it was attached to.

imagine what gaining and then losing that sort of titanic strength does to your bones!

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 3 years ago

Yeah, this is a color pie bend pretty harshly, because Red's buffs are always offensively oriented. Simply bigger is the domain of Green.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The Grafted Wargear drawback actually seems like a good fit for red. My own color pie fix would be just printing something that granted +3/+2 for RR.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Manic Disposition -- RR
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+0 as long as it's attacking or fighting.
... would be my take. It does miss on the other fun red/power combo, Fling.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Manic Disposition -- RR
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
As fling is an instant, and can be cast during combat, no, not really.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Manic Disposition -- RR
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
That's really neat.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Specifically during the end of combat step, when creatures are still attacking even after they've assigned and dealt their combat damage.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Manic Disposition -- RR
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
That's really neat.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Specifically during the end of combat step, when creatures are still attacking even after they've assigned and dealt their combat damage.
Precisely. Fling is great. And Fling on a Stick in the form of Brion Stoutarm is even greater.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/28/21 is Blightwidow.

Infect gets maligned for a number of reasons - most of them to do with EDH, which is understandable - but it's so easy to make a compelling card just by putting infect + something else on a French vanilla.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Thornithopter
Artifact Creature — Thopter
Flying, infect
0/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Serrated Angel 3WW
Artifact Creature - Phyrexian Angel
Flying, infect, vigilance
4/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Herald of Urabrask 5RR
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying, trample, protection from instants
Infect
The most unquiet dweller in the Quiet Furnace.
6/5

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/29/21 is Govern the Guildless.

I rather like this kind of forecast design.

Morpic_Tide

One thing to note is that the revealing is not written into the reminder text like the attack requirement of Boast, even though . This would move a line of text out of the card itself, allowing for the rares and mythics that skip reminder text that much more space to work with.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 years ago

Morpic_Tide wrote:
3 years ago
One thing to note is that the revealing is not written into the reminder text like the attack requirement of Boast, even though . This would move a line of text out of the card itself, allowing for the rares and mythics that skip reminder text that much more space to work with.
I don't know if they could move the revealing into the Reminder text, since it's a cost, not a limitation.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Ink-Treader wrote:
3 years ago
Morpic_Tide wrote:
3 years ago
I don't know if they could move the revealing into the Reminder text, since it's a cost, not a limitation.
The thing is, the rules demand that you reveal a card when it is the source of an ability you are activating from a hidden zone. So the reveal is more a reminder to do it rather than something the ability needs to function.

OneAndOnly

Also, they could have broken up the ability, and turned Forecast into a keyword ability like cycling, then have a separate ability that triggers on it being forecast. That'd open up some design space for cards on the battlefield that care about the number of cards revealed in your hand, and so on.

It's a nice pairing of abilities; rather like a split card in some ways. An overall cost of 6UU is too much for 'gain control of target creature' though.

Morpic_Tide

The contemporary Cytoplast Manipulator is 2uuu to gain control of a creature with a +1/+1 counter until you lose the Cytoplast Manipulator. So in exchange for three more mana, you remove the targeting restriction and reversion condition. Even the absolute bomb of Mass Manipulation is 2uuuu at the least, being much higher color identity at the same cost to remove the targeting restriction and add Planeswalkers.

So for what it is, it's actually pretty decently costed. Lot of relevant monocolored creatures in every format, and anywhere you can get ahold of a "color matters" function you can do nasty things with the indefinite repeats.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 1/31/21 is Dream Cache.

I actually really like the "Both on top or both on the bottom" thing.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Ah, yes, the situationally worse Brainstorm. That situation being the one in which you want to put the cards on top of your library. If you want to get rid of them, it is better, although a bit more expensive.

It also has the drawback of being a sorcery. If it had been an instant, it'd be infinitely more playable.

Lore Delve 2U
Instant (C)
Draw three cards, then take two cards from your hand and put them on the bottom of your library in any order.

Alternately.

Prophetic Visions 2U
Instant (C)
Scry 3.
Draw a card.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

That reminds me - why has Telling Time never been reprinted in a Standard expansion?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/1/21 is Dark Sphere.

The most obscure bauble there is.

OneAndOnly

For it's day, it was .... unnhh, well, even then it was more of a curiosity than the linchpin of a deck. It's not horrible in that it at least does something -- I'd say Delif's Cone has much the same end result, but in an even worse way, and Delif's Cube from the same set, is just too hoop-jump-y to even be used during a game. Against decks that rely on taking just one or two big swings at an opponent -- some red burn or blue control decks -- it's a disincentive. Against zerg decks, it's useless.

In Mirrodin era, it'd be handy to throw down to activate affinity or metalcraft, but, let's not kid ourselves, there are better choices.

(In Aether Revolt, it'd help with improvise. Why do I always forget that set and that mechanic exist?)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/2/21 is Karn, the Great Creator.

Intensely powerful in older formats of course but I like this design for being one of the Karniest Karns. Karn, Scion of Urza gets across the pacifism (no direct offensive abilities) and giving life to artifacts. Karn Liberated gets across time travel very well. Only Great Creator feels like all of those things.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/3/21 is Inferno Trap.

I like Traps and this is one of the simpler designs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”