MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/25/21 is Hooded Blightfang.

I have always liked evergreen ability tribal. And between this card, Fynn, the Fangbearer, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence, and Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, deathtouch tribal in particular is a thing.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/29/21 is Rishadan Port.

My God that's nostalgic - Masques block was my start in Magic. (Inauspicious, I know.) This was easily the best and most memorable thing to come out of MMQ specifically.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/30/21 is Brave the Sands.

Great flavor and extra blocks is good gameplay.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/31/21 is Debtors' Knell.

A quintessentially hybrid/Orzhov card.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

I never actually made the effort to check out the flavor text. Stopping just short of:

Beside him there walked another, remarking: "Mondays are the worst."

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 4/1/21 is Island.

Nothing scarier than two of them.

Happy April Fools' Day!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 4/3/21 is Ydwen Efreet.

Some... interesting errata history here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 4/12/21 is Serra Disciple.

Very much appreciate the flavor text calling back to the Order.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 4/20/21 is Fiery Encore.

Blaze it.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

Actually, why there is "nonland"? Non-existent mana costs on nonlands exist and have to be handled, so is there any other reason for such restriction then making less targeting in online play?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

It's probably just avoiding the scenario of lots of triggers for 0 damage, especially for online, yeah.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 4/21/21 is Rushing River.

This one was actually part of a cycle!

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 2 years ago

what was the cycle?

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 2 years ago

A Planeshift cycle of common spells that had a kicker cost to sacrifice lands.
See here.

Though that cycle is debatable since actually all seven common spells with kicker in PLS have nonmana costs, and the cycle is itself a bit uneven with the number of sacrificed lands. Though all of them feature the appropriate coalition symbol of their color in the art (and notably as part of the landscape), so the cycle is probably intentional.

It's part of the evolution of the mechanic across the block IIRC, because Invasion had only mana costs (also only allied colors or colorless) as kicker costs. In PLS the commons featured nonmana costs and the uncommons were Battlemages with two different kicker costs. Apocalypse feature only enemy color kicker costs (with the exception of a single artifact that supported the five-color subtheme instead) to fit the thematic shift that so often was used as "third set twist" back in the days.

Weirdly the three of the four Planeshift rares feature mana costs that could have fit into INV, with only the final one requiring a pure life payment. Those inconsistencies undermine the mechanical progression a bit.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 4/22/21 is Lotus Cobra.

Man, if only that flavor text had said "petals" instead of "blooms."

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Let's depower this just slightly:

Lotus Tender 1G
Creature — Elf Druid
Whenever a land enters the battlefield for the first time each turn, untap Lotus Tender.
: Untap target land.
1/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day is Esper Charm.

A cycle that was better received than the Primeval Charms from Planeshift imo.

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

This card was the bane of my Pyromancer's Ascension deck back when they were in standard together. Luckily almost noone played esper.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/15/21 is Discordant Piper.

I can't even pretend to hate that flavor text.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/17/21 is Leovold's Operative.

I love the Conspiracy draft-matters cards. They make for so much fun before the games even start.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/18/21 is Seeker of Insight.

Limited themes!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/20/21 is Thelonite Hermit.

It's actually incredible to me how many cards are inspired by Deranged Hermit.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 5/31/21 is Dawn of Hope.

Engines!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/13/21 is Pirate Ship.

A pretty well-known early card, but not a very in-pie one these days, and islandhome is no longer being used. I do like the ping ability being backup if you can't attack with this: that's pretty smart design for a time when things were just getting figured out.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 6/16/21 is Scryb Sprites.

Sheesh, if I'm gonna keep hitting old cards that are now out-of-color I'm just going to call for some kind of Time Spiral/Planar Chaos open riffing thing...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”