Vex

chochky
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by chochky » 4 years ago

Just a GUB mechanic for making mill matter in combat. The text feels too long for what is a pretty simple effect; trying to make it shorter somehow. It's a bit irritating that language like "destroy the top card of a library" isn't used for milling.

Jungle Raptor 1G
Creature - Dinosaur
Vex 1 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player puts the top card of their library into their graveyard. If it was a land card, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
2/2

Iridescent Crab 1U
Creature - Crab
Vex 1 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player puts the top card of their library into their graveyard. If it was a land card, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
0/4

Alpha Ape 3GG
Creature - Ape
Alpha Ape can't be blocked by creatures with less power.
Vex 3 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player puts the top three cards of their library into their graveyard. If any of them was a land card, this creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.)
3/2

Whirlpool Serpent 4UU
Whenever Whirlpool Serpent deals combat damage to a player, return Whirlpool Serpent to its owner's hand unless that player has seven or more cards in their graveyard.
7/7

Darksea Mesmerist UB
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
Skulk (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with greater power.)
Vex 2 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyard. If any of them was a land card, this creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.)
2/1

Gift of Dark Dreams 3UB
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When Gift of Dark Dreams enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Enchanted creature has vex X, where X is the number of cards in your hand. (Whenever that creature attacks, defending player puts the top X cards of their library into their graveyard. If any of them was a land card, this creature gets +X/+X until end of turn.)

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Occo » 4 years ago

It always caring about lands feels a little odd to me; is caring about lands a big thing in your set?

Neat idea, not something I would want to see outside of a set that has lands-matter as a big theme.

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

I imagine caring about land cards is because it's meant to have about a 33%(ish) buff activation ratio (on Vex 1)? But that's just a rough guess.

I am unsure how I feel about the mechanic. I definitely like the inspiration, but it feels like maybe it doesn't mill enough to make the milling matter? And Vex scales in a way that worries me a little, but it seems you've accounted for that.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”