Five commanders part 3

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

I feel like these are a bit less out-of-the-box than prior sets of 5. The wurm in particular is just a wish list item of mine.

Princess Neilyn 1WUB
Legendary Creature - Human Noble
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, you may draw a card.
T: Each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.
1/4

Zhul, Demon Witch 2UBR
Legendary Creature - Demon Shaman
Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, ~ gets +1/+1 and gains menace until end of turn.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, sacrifice another creature. If you do, copy that spell and you may choose new targets for the copy.
3/3

The Wasting Mist of Orr RBG
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Trample
~ gets +1/+1 for each -1/-1 counter on all creatures.
Whenever a creature blocks ~, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
Whenever another creature attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
1/1

Gomsrud, the Writhing Earth 5RGGW
Legendary Creature - Wurm
Affinity for Wurms (This spell costs 1 less to cast for each Wurm you control)
Trample
Other Wurm creatures you control have Trample.
You may cast Wurm spells as though they had flash, otherwise Wurm spells you cast cost 3 less to cast.
8/8

Shax, Djinn of the Mirror 3GWU
Legendary Creature - Djinn Wizard
Flash
Imprint - When you cast ~, exile target artifact, creature, or enchantment.
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield or at the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of the imprinted card.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the imprinted card to the battlefield under its owner's control.
3/5

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

NGL, I would drop everything and jam Orr if he dropped. We direly need a proper jund -1/-1 commander. Shax seems unduly annoying given that he can exile opponent's stuff, and does so on cast. This means if you remand him or whatever, they're just down their best card, with little interaction. I'd restrict him to things you control, both to focus deckbuilding and not punish people for playing cool cards.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Neilyn - A reasonable mishmash of effects in a combination platter multicolor sort of way, but somehow I feel like this is just an absurd engine in any kind of dedicated deck - the Soul Sisters effects in particular make this go crazy although lacking green in her color identity slows that down just a tad.

Zhul - Hm, so you're REQUIRED to sacrifice creatures if able? A wild card, high risk/high reward obviously. I like what this is doing! Comboriffic but probably not degenerate; nicer to play against than Prossh, Skyraider of Kher at least.

Wasting Mist - The last ability there has the most potential to get oppressive - it can straight-up lock token decks right out. Maybe the counter for that should go on at end of combat?

Gomsrud - What is the "otherwise" doing there? Do you mean that Wurm spells cast any time you could cast a sorcery cost 3 less? You probably should write that out, or just say "Wurm spells you cast cost 3 less to cast during your turn"... or drop the restriction altogether, given that this is a base nine-mana commander for a neglected tribe as-is.

Shax - Very wordy and very pushed but seems like lots of fun. Imprint feels flavorfully wrong; until this point it's only been used on artifacts or Phyrexians - outside of Mirrodin I would not think to use it and simply reference the exiled card without an ability word. To cut down text and possibly help with balance too I'd make just the exile an "ETB, exile target (blah) until this leaves the battlefield" in the vein of new-style Oblivion Ring variants, and just leave the token creation as a beginning-of-your-upkeep ability.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

Yes, the non-optinal sacrifice on Zhul is intentional. Demons have gradually lost their treacherous flavor over time, I like my demons strong, but still not fully under control.

The Wasting Mist's ability is likewise intended to be both detrimental and synergistic. It want's creatures to get -1/-1 counters, but live. You opponents can sent their creatures into the mist to get them killed, thus weakening it.
I kinda want to make it a 0/0, so it just doesn't live without some -1/-1 counters to sustain it.

Yes, Gomsrud's (I couldn't think of a name, this is literally just some guy's last name) intent is to either get flash on your wurms or they cost 3 less, but not both. I thought it would be clear enough this way, to save some text, but I could write it out long-form.

Shax's exile-on-cast was to allow an etb copy, but it does turn it into a hard-to-stop removal instant for 6 mana. I thought that was reasonable. I would actually be rather comfortable dropping the return clause altogether, just make it straight-up hard removal.

Shax, Djinn of the Mirror 3GWU
Legendary Creature - Djinn Wizard
Flash
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target artifact, creature, or enchantment.
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of the exiled card.
3/5

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”