Some (Probably Bad) Land Ideas

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Occo » 4 years ago

Hidden Aqueduct
?
Land

Hidden Aqueduct enters the battlefield tapped.

: Add or

Morph GU(You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
Pharaoh's Tomb
?
Land - Desert

: Add

Eternalize (, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie. Eternalize only as a sorcery.)
Sylvan Woodland
?
Land

Sylvan Woodland enters the battlefield tapped.

1G, : Regenerate target Elf. (The next time it would be destroyed this turn, it isn't. Instead tap it.)

4GGG, : Elf creatures you control get +3/+3 and gain trample until end of turn.
The Grand Library
?
Land

2, : Put a page counter on The Grand Library.

, : Draw X cards, where X is the number of page counters on The Grand Library. Sacrifice The Grand Library.
Homeworld Warship
?
Artifact Land - Vehicle

Homeworld Warship enters the battlefield tapped.

Crew 3 (Tap any number of creatures you control with total power 3 or more: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
4/4

Thoughts on these? Any suggestions as to changes you might make to them?

What weird land ideas have you had?
Last edited by Occo 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

I love every one of these to an unhealthy degree. I hope they all work as intended. Sylvan Woodland is the least exciting for me and I'm curious about its power.

HugSeal

Post by HugSeal » 4 years ago

These are fun.

Hidden Aqueduct is pretty much a dual Zoetic Cavern, seems to work wel, may be confusing not having the morph etb tapped but not too complicated imo.

Is tomb uposed to cost 12 to eternalize or did you just happen to put an extra 6 colourless in the cost? Seems like you need a deck with ways to get lands in the graveyard and when you do the payoff isn't great. But the general idea is fun.

The woodland is probably way to strong, 1G to repeatedly regenerate seems like a very strong ability to put on a land. And having an uncounterable repeatable overrun on it aswell makes it too much imo.

Regarding the library it is dangerous to put an ability that can draw you a lot of cards on a land and I fear 2 mana to activate is a tad too little, but the land is really fun and the ability makes sense for a fixed alexandria.

The warship is a nice take on other manlands although much of the appeal of manlands is to give you a creature in creature thin decks.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

I think the morph land could enter untapped, which would make things simpler, and not effect its power level.

The desert is cool. I assume the double 6 is a typo.

The elf land regeneration is a fine card on its own. I think the hard to interact with Overrun is too much.

The Grand Library interacts favorable with infinite mana. Again, maybe too hard to interact with normally. Maybe adding the tap symbol after the 2 mana would mitigate this.

Homeworld seems cool and balanced from my perspective.

In general I like the feel of these and I think they're all pretty good. Just need some tweaking for power level on some I think, but I like the concepts. Nicely done.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Hidden Aqueduct is a ETBT Zoetic Cavern dual, seems perfectly reasonable.

Pharaoh's Tomb is perfectly nice and fits in with the theme of the Amonkhet block but flavorwise is... odd. If it's meant to be Amonkhetu, then Amonkhet only has one Pharaoh and he's not dead, just sealed away. Eternalize on a land is a little strange too even if that land is a location that has skeletons in it - where do you put the lazotep on the bricks?

Sylvan Woodland is far too good. Ezuri, Renegade Leader is a three-mana legend. Adding his abilities plus a mana ability to a land is well over the top considering how good Wirewood Lodge, with only one, nonrepeatable Elf enabling ability, is.

The Grand Library looks dangerous to me as far as the costs go but thankfully the draw is not repeatable. Could be interesting though.

Homeworld Warship is reasonable (apart from being an artifact land) but as noted, creaturelands are typically mean for situations where you DON'T have a creature at the ready.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Sylvan Woodland is way, way, way overpowered. Now, if the regeneration had a tap cost, it wouldn't be as broken. Still overpowered due to the built in Overrun for elves.

Homeworld Warship feels, well, wrong, very, very wrong. It's basically a free Vehicle, and that ain't good from a game balance perspective, even if it enters the battlefield tapped.

The rest seem perfectly fine however.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

I definitely made some mistakes in transcription, apologies. Not very used to this forum's syntax for stuff.

I'm really glad to know people like them, I was just experimenting with what lands might be able to do, really.
Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
I think the morph land could enter untapped, which would make things simpler, and not effect its power level.
That would make it a true dual. The morph does not enter tapped, removing that would allow you to get full perfect fixing. A bit much if you ask me.
HugSeal wrote:
4 years ago
Is tomb uposed to cost 12 to eternalize or did you just happen to put an extra 6 colourless in the cost? Seems like you need a deck with ways to get lands in the graveyard and when you do the payoff isn't great. But the general idea is fun.

Like I said, error in transcription. Was intended to be part of the reminder text.

I forgot to put a tap symbol in both Woodland's regenerate ability and The Grand Library's counter ability. Far reduces the power level of both in my opinion.
Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
I think the hard to interact with Overrun is too much.
Agreed. If I were to actually print this I would cut it, though I was trying to scale Ezuri, Renegade Leader's abilities to a land. It's likely undercosted and unnecessary.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
fits in with the theme of the Amonkhet block but flavorwise is... odd.
I didn't entirely intend for it to be Amonkhetu, though could you see it in a potential return to Amonkhet? I was experimenting mechanically more than flavor-wise.

I feel like Warship should be treated as a way to grow a creature instead of as a traditional manland / creatureland.

I'm glad to know people liked my ideas, despite the weird interactions they may have. Any other thoughts on them now that I've fixed some of the errors?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I want a copy of Pharaoh's Tomb right away :3 that's the stand-out card to me, I tend to distrust lands which let you draw cards but at least your library is less OP than Cephalid Coliseum and less boring than Scrying Sheets!

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

Nice to know you like them music :)

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

I've got a few more. Thoughts on these?
Experiment Vat
?
Land

Experiment Vat enters the battlefield tapped.

, Pay 2 life: Add or

Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, creatures you control have base power and toughness X/X until end of turn, where X is the number of lands you control.
Isle Adrift
?
Land

Isle Adrift enters the battlefield tapped.

UUU, : Exchange control of Isle Adrift and target land you don't control.
Qal Sisma Pass
?
Land

, Reveal Qal Sisma Pass from your hand: Manifest it. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once per turn. (It becomes a face down 2/2 creature with no types or abilities.)
Isle of Mind
?
Land

: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend that mana only on blue costs.

: Change the text of Isle of Mind by replacing all instances of one color word with a other.

Isle of Mind is a reference to Sleight of Mind by the way, not just something I came up with.

Any feedback?

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

First off, all these are very cool, and I think everyone else covered anything I'd have said regarding the first batch.

With regards to the second batch, Experiment Vat and Isle Adrift are fine. I'm personally not a fan of Qal Simsa Pass as for me part of the fun of manifest is that the opponent doesn't know what's under there! Maybe something like the following?

Qal Simsa Pass
Land
t: Add c

2, sacrifice Qal Simsa Pass: Manifest the top card of your library. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

Isle of Mind makes no sense to me. My brain basically parses it's eventual in-game effect as "1t: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool", which is a totally fine effect but I suspect not what you were aiming for.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

Interesting rework for Pass. Definitely a cool idea for it.
Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
My brain basically parses it's eventual in-game effect as ": Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool",
That's....... basically what it does? I was more concerned with making a reference to Sleight than anything else.

Glad you like Vat and Isle.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Ah fair enough. I was wondering if I'd missed some trick with it somewhere, my brain doesn't always read cards right the first couple of times. I think in a Magic where colour hosing had stayed a thing, a Sleight of Mind land would have happened eventually in some capacity.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I think Vat is way over powered when you realize that blue and green are the kings of +1/+1 counters and green excels at putting additional lands onto the battlefield. In the right deck it could easily make your creatures base 8/8's by turn five. Add +1/+1 counters on top of that and you can see where I am going with this. Early game it is fine, mid to late game it rapidly becomes a major problem.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

Vat is almost definitely too good, agreed. Counters do make it quite scary.
How would people feel about X being differently named lands as opposed to just lands?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Occo wrote:
4 years ago
Vat is almost definitely too good, agreed. Counters do make it quite scary.
How would people feel about X being differently named lands as opposed to just lands?
Still pretty damn scary, particularly in formats with a large selection of lands, such as commander and other eternal formats. Heck, even in modern it would be pretty damn scary.

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

It could be, though I feel like it's enough of a hoop to hurt a Modern deck? I'm not really sure though. 15 different GU lands in Modern right now, not sure on tricolor or rainbow.

I'm really not sure. Definitely big in Commander though.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

@[mention]Occo[/mention] Yeah you're right. I was thinking too much about the Morph side of it. Perhaps more like a check land type effect?

In regards to the new lands:

The vat is too powerful, and would need specific hate. If that was printed within the same set, I'm still unsure if it would be enough to counteract it. It would be extremely bonkers in my Omnath deck.

I like the idea behind the Isle Adrift. I might make the second cost more political with it being 2U perhaps, but I think it does work fine as is cost wise. I would add sorcery speed, or something to make it even slower. Something in my gut tells me so.

I'm not too familiar with Manifest as it function (which is changing tomorrow WOOT), but this card seems fine to me. However, it seems generally worse than some other man-lands and manifest type cards. Maybe a way to turn it face up again, ala zoetic cavern?

The only blue (or other color) costs of this doesn't seem right. Perhaps change it to "blue spells". It seems somewhat redundant the way it is now. I also don't understand the land because of this. What would be the point of running it over something that just gives any color? I have yet to read some of the other comments, but and interesting thing it could do is make the spell you cast the chosen color as well (or in addition to). Might give some play to other cards like Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.

I generally still like these designs a lot. Nice work.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Occo wrote:
4 years ago
It could be, though I feel like it's enough of a hoop to hurt a Modern deck? I'm not really sure though. 15 different GU lands in Modern right now, not sure on tricolor or rainbow.

I'm really not sure. Definitely big in Commander though.
You need to count the lands that tap for any color and for colorless as well, which is surprisingly many.

Assuming you are playing a 60 card deck, it is not difficult to get 25 different lands into your deck in modern, and that makes the Vat really scary. Heck, you can probably hit 25 different lands in standard with little difficulty. The land is really friggin' scary, with five lands, it makes all your creatures 5/5's until end of turn, and it is very easy to get out creatures when you are green. There are currently 449 different lands in Modern right now, even reducing this to 2/5th's is still over 100 different lands. Maybe if they reprinted Strip Mine or Wasteland as commons in Standard I could see this land happening, because that land is so scary it would warp any meta it became a part of and not for the better.

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
The vat is too powerful, and would need specific hate. If that was printed within the same set, I'm still unsure if it would be enough to counteract it. It would be extremely bonkers in my Omnath deck.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
The land is really friggin' scary, with five lands, it makes all your creatures 5/5's until end of turn, and it is very easy to get out creatures when you are green.
You guys are right. Vat is incredibly powerful, far too powerful. I'll scrap the idea at this point.
Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
I might make the second cost more political with it being 2U perhaps, but I think it does work fine as is cost wise. I would add sorcery speed, or something to make it even slower
Definitely something to consider if I were ever to include it in a set. 2U sounds pretty interesting.
Candlemane wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not too familiar with Manifest as it function (which is changing tomorrow WOOT), but this card seems fine to me. However, it seems generally worse than some other man-lands and manifest type cards. Maybe a way to turn it face up again, ala zoetic cavern?
If you were to look at the original post on this thread you would see that's already something I've looked at. I had already done Morph, why not Manifest?

Again, very glad to hear people like my stupid ideas that I've shared.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Occo wrote:
4 years ago
Isle of Mind
?
Land

: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend that mana only on blue costs.

: Change the text of Isle of Mind by replacing all instances of one color word with a other.

Isle of Mind is a reference to Sleight of Mind by the way, not just something I came up with.

Any feedback?
What's a blue cost? Is it U or costs of a thing that's blue?

I'd just have it generate colored mana and have a way to change which color it generates. (This requires dropping the Sleight of Mind reference, but that may be holding it back.)

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

You're probably right. Like I said at the start of the thread, some of these are probably bad. I have no idea how I might want to word it.

Megatog201

Post by Megatog201 » 4 years ago

The land ideas are nice. The vat seems like its OP. If you want it as a finisher then make the ability cost to activate it. Then I'd change it to GW. To play off the changelings.

Make it like

Enters the battlefield tapped.

T: Add W or G.

6wg: All creatures you control are all creature types and their base power and toughness is X/X. Where X is the number of lands you control.

Isle is also OP. Though not as much. Maybe add in paying 1 life to change a color word text. That way it costs a mana and a life to permanently change and add mana. Then you can't use it as continuous color fix without it being both slow and painful.

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

What's GW about Vat or Changelings? W/B has the most changelings, with WU being the next.

I agree that both Vat and Isle of Mind are likely too good, though I don't think your suggested changes would be the best way to go about powering them down.

M00NSIDIAN
Pronoun: they / them

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

The first set are all pretty good, although the text from eternalize would need an update to support Pharaoh's Tomb, I presume (just a minor one, e.g. "it's a creature in addition to its other types"). Considering it's also a zombie later, I am not 100% sure how that works, unless... have you ever played Eternal Darkness, by any chance?

From the second set, Vat needs a rework, but you know that already. Isle of Mind is an interesting idea. The permanent self-mod lets you set up for multiple turns, but the wording is... weird. Aside from that, though, at worst it's an over-complicated Unknown Shores. What you're going for is pretty interesting and I don't know what to make of it.

Qal Sisma Pass is an interesting thing in general because a manifest land could be cool, but I'm not sure what the "right" way to do that is. (Also is a 2/2 for a flat 2 a thing right now with nothing that could be taken as a downside, i.e. not counting Runed Servitor?(edit: Yeah, actually, it kind of is.))

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”