Mimic - New Multiplayer Mechanic

Icarii
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Been brainstorming a multiplayer set and had Mimic for a mechanic idea: A lot of the basic design space is obvious, so just showcasing a couple different rarities examples here.

Devouring Blooms 2G
Instant (C)
Mimic 3 (Other players may pay 3 when you cast this spell)
You and each player who mimics you chooses a target artifact or enchantment you don't control. Destroy those targets.

Volcanic Fury 1R
Sorcery (U)
Mimic - Sacrifice a Creature (Other players may sacrifice a creature when you cast this spell)
You and each player who mimics you chooses a target creature or planeswalker you don't control. Volcanic fury deals 4 damage to those targets.

Infectious Madness XXUB
Sorcery (R)
Mimic X (Other players may pay X when you cast this spell)
You and each player who mimics you chooses a target player other than you. Those players discard X cards at random and you draw a card for each card discard this way.

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

Sweet cards icarii.

Is Mimic as strong as it seems in two-headed giant? For instance, if I cast Infectious Madness for ub, can my mate mega Mind Twist twist a player and refill my hand with X cards? The same question but in FFA EDH? Free for All deters my opponents from helping me draw perhaps but I could still only pay 2 while even a single opponent Mimics to wreck a tapped out player.

I like this mechanic a good deal. I can barely get my words down without thinking of designs. What else do you have?

Icarii

I hadn't given much thought to two-headed. Infectious Madness is pretty silly in that format. But yes, your example for FFA EDH is accurate and intended. Might be more balanceds as XX for the mimic cost.

I have a lot of generic effects to fill common and uncommon slots. Trying to be tricksy with a group of allied color rares.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Is Mimic a triggered ability or an additional cost? It uses "when" which sounds like a triggered ability; additional costs use "as you cast this spell". (It ought to be additional. That's neatest. If it's triggered then Infectious Curse would work quite surprisingly as written: you could pay 0 for the mimic cost since the new X for the triggered ability has no relation to the X chosen during spell casting.)

If it's an additional cost, I suggest it could be updated to use the following text in its templating:
  • Reminder text: (As you cast this spell, each other player may pay its mimic cost.)
  • You and each other player who paid the mimic cost chooses...
Much like Madness and Flashback, the reminder text doesn't have to repeat the cost. It can instead establish the concept of paying a Madness/Flashback/Mimic cost, then the ability text references having paid the Madness/Flashback/Mimic cost. (I think that would be more rigorous than introducing a concept of "mimics you").

Occo
Jarl of Skybreen

Post by Occo » 4 years ago

I would definitely recommend changing the reminder text to be something in line with with what Spacemonaut suggested.

I like the phrasing of "Mimics you", though I'm not quite sure on some of the other wording around it.

The mechanic is really cool, and I'd like to see what you do with it!

Icarii

Using the new wording, here is another idea.

Rift Ride 2WU
Instant (R)
Mimic 2 (As you cast this spell, each other player may pay its mimic cost.)
You and each player who mimics you exiles target creature they control then returns that card to the battlefield under its owners control. Then you may create a token that's a copy of a creature exiled this way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”