Dragonlover's Design Hoard

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

I was thinking from a multiplayer perspective, the vast majority of my games are three or four player Commander games and it skews my brain a tad. That said, fair point.

I figure the balancing point cost wise is either add a t or make it take more Frogs to activate the ability. I suppose you could also make the token creation activated, but I wanted it to just be something that happened as a result of Eghva existing from a flavour point of view.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
I was thinking from a multiplayer perspective, the vast majority of my games are three or four player Commander games and it skews my brain a tad. That said, fair point.

I figure the balancing point cost wise is either add a t or make it take more Frogs to activate the ability. I suppose you could also make the token creation activated, but I wanted it to just be something that happened as a result of Eghva existing from a flavour point of view.

Dragonlover
Oh, I understand completely, I prefer the same format (followed by drafting, which is fun). In Commander, or other multiplayer formats, it is less of an issue as there are usually someone who has a way of dealing with the creature before it gets out of hand.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Dragonlover

Ok, so, balancing pass to stop mild 1v1 oppressiveness:

Version 1:
Eghva, Croaking Broodmother 4gg
Legendary Creature - Frog Fungus (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 green Frog token.
g, sacrifice a Frog: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
4/4

Version 2:
t, sacrifice a Frog: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
4/4

Version 3:
Sacrifice two Frogs: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
4/4

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Third version is the least oppressive, but I think version 2 is the most balanced.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Dragonlover

My latest offering to the MCC:

Thoughtleech Blade 3
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker, you may pay 1 life. If do you, draw a card.
Equip 2
Knowledge is pain.

Not the best design I've come up with, but nothing was flowing easily from the constraints of the challenge which were as follows:

Main Challenge: Design an artifact card with the word "life" in its rules text.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is a noncreature artifact.
Subchallenge 2: Your card's rules text contains the phrase "Pay(s) N life" (N can be any number).

----------------

So typically, my brain wound back round to Grimoire last night, and was thinking about the rest of a hypothetical plane it would make sense on. Clearly, the magic on this plane is so strong, it will animate things if allowed to concentrate in one place (such as a spellbook). This led me wondering how else to express the concept, and so far (via the leap to the living spells of the D&D setting Eberron) the most logical thing is enchantment creatures. Put Grimoire in Esper, enchantment creatures in Naya and you've got a nice classical fantasy nature vs artifice vibe going.

Also, my brain provided this pretty much fully formed. The flavour is entirely changeable if if I take the set further, but at the same time I feel it's an entirely appropriate homage.

The Librarian 2uu
Legendary Creature - Ape Wizard (R)
Libraries you control have hexproof.
Tap an untapped library you control: Draw a card.
Oook.
3/3

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

My brain just threw this one up fully formed:

Sickly Assassin 2b
Creature - Human Assassin
Sickly Assassin is unblockable as long as it has a -1/-1 counter on it.
3/2

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

Did a riff on the character from Prince of Persia for the CCL:

Dastan, Timelost Prince RR
Legendary Creature - Human Noble Rogue (M)
Whenever Dastan, Timelost Prince deals combat damage to a player, put a sand counter on target creature that player controls.
When Dastan dies, if a creature an opponent controls has a sand counter on it, exile Dastan and put a time counter on it. It gains suspend 1 (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost. It has haste)
''No no no, that didn't happen.''
2/2

Also came up with this:

Amela, Arena Doyenne 3RW
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
First strike
Whenever a creature dealing combat damage causes a triggered ability to trigger, that ability triggers a second time.
3/3

Does that make sense? I basically tweaked the Panharmonicon text but I'm not sure it actually does what I want it to do, which is make everybodies combat damage triggers happen twice.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Skello496
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Skello496 » 4 years ago

I love Froskaz, my only suggestion would be something like "mana does not empty from your mana pool on other player's turns", so you can use it on your turn.
EDH:
Krenko, Goblin Stampeder
Nylea, God of Hydra Counters G
Mahadi, Emporium Master rb
Feather, Catrips Redeemed wr
Ghired, The Tokened gwr

Dragonlover

Froskaz doesn't let you keep the mana cause he's greedy and eats anything left over.

Ok, couple of new cards. First up, my entry for round 1 of this months MCC:

Syr Eriann, the Steadfast 3gg
Legendary Creature - Human Knight (R)
Vigilance
When Syr Eriann, the Steadfast enters the battlefield, search your library for a legendary Knight card, reveal it and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
The lords of Garenbrig do not hold the crimes of the exile Ennor against his daughter, instead choosing to honour her strength.
3/3

The challenge was to make a Knight that cares about your other Knights.

For my second card, the card that my brain wanted to enter for round two but I refuse to because it's incredibly derivative:

Ardenvale Harvest 5w
Sorcery (R)
Create X Food tokens, where X is the number of lands you control.

Yes, it's just Brass's Bounty but for food, but I had to write it down somewhere to get my brain to shut up.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dragonlover

I've been moving house the last couple of months so not really been thinking about custom cards, but one popped into my head the other night. Annoyingly, I can't remember the exact card, but it was something like this:

Placeholder Name 2rug
Legendary Creature - Ooze
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a creature, exile that creature and put an absorb counter on it.
~ gains all creature types of creatures with absorb counters on them.
Creatures you control that share a creature type with ~ get +1/+1
4/5

Thoughts on both the design and general concept?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

It is a little unfortunate that Placholder Name exiles opponents' creatures (since they are easy to deal damage to), but pumps your owns. Worst-case you don't have any overlap in creature types and don't really gain a benefit from it; you'll end up just with an Ooze-lord (including changeling)...

Another problem is that this won't gt to exile/"absorb" anything with toughness less than five, because a creature dealt lethal damage by this will be put into the graveyard before it can be exiled (and the triggered ability doesn't track the (creature?) card to the graveyard).

All said and done, even if you work on these two this is just an anthem and deathtouch variant at best - which also doesn't seem particular fitting to the color combination. Call it "Randomia Nameus, Soul Jailer" and adjust the sutype and you've got a white-black card.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Another problem is that this won't gt to exile/"absorb" anything with toughness less than five, because a creature dealt lethal damage by this will be put into the graveyard before it can be exiled (and the triggered ability doesn't track the (creature?) card to the graveyard).
Maybe just adjust it to:
"Whenever ~ would deal combat damage to a creature, prevent that damage. Exile that creature and put an absorb counter on it."

I think this could be an interesting card, but the anthem effect is holding it back somehow. With it only being a static +1/+1, I feel like you'd just be compelled to go all-in on changelings which sort of defeats the purpose. I'm just spit-balling, but maybe if it was more like:

"Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature type among cards exiled with absorb counters."

It could be this is too powerful (particularly considering if you manage to exile something with changeling?), but tying it to combat damage should limit it somewhat without suitable setups. Changing it to this also makes combat more interesting for opponents since they may feel compelled not to block with creatures that have 'new' creature types.

Dragonlover

Hmm. I'm wondering if I had something that gave opponents stuff -1/-1 for the creature types in some way? I literally came up with it then fell asleep, so I could have inverted the link in my head.

Will respond to specific points when not on my phone.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”