Snare v2

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

Snare v2
Artifact
Flash (You may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.)

Snare doesn't untap during your untap step.

T: Target creature you don't control can't attack for as long as Snare remains tapped.

3: Return Snare to its owner's hand.

Snare v1
Show
Hide
Snare 0
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature can't attack or block.
x: Attach Snare to target creature you don't control with power X if Snare isn't equipping another creature.
During your turn, creatures you control have "t: This creature fights target creature equipped by Snare."

I've a few questions:
What's the power of this thing?
If I want to fight the equipped creature I won't be attacking with my fighters. My fighters could die. I need to invest mana to equip. Bigger threat, more mana to attach.
What do you think? Thank you.
Last edited by BOVINE 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Power level looks extremely high. The base case of being a colorless (and cheaper) Killing Glare is pretty powerful. Add in the ability to do so repeatedly and the card looks like an absurd limited bomb. Fighting may be a weaker form of removal, but doing it repeatedly is capable of dominating most limited formats.

Harder to evaluate in formats outside limited - mana efficiency is more important, and the average size of creatures (relative to their cost) is higher, which means it's more expensive to activate (consider throwing it on a Tarmogoyf, for example). Would probably see Standard play at least in sideboards, but Modern / Legacy / Vintage seem unlikely (creature removal is dead in too many matchups).

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Power level looks extremely high. The base case of being a colorless (and cheaper) Killing Glare is pretty powerful. Add in the ability to do so repeatedly and the card looks like an absurd limited bomb. Fighting may be a weaker form of removal, but doing it repeatedly is capable of dominating most limited formats.

Harder to evaluate in formats outside limited - mana efficiency is more important, and the average size of creatures (relative to their cost) is higher, which means it's more expensive to activate (consider throwing it on a Tarmogoyf, for example). Would probably see Standard play at least in sideboards, but Modern / Legacy / Vintage seem unlikely (creature removal is dead in too many matchups).
Was worried about that. The repeatability and timing control was hard for me to evaluate with how different board states could be. In multiplayer, if I have only small creatures and I Snare a big boy of yours then fighting it likely isn't to my advantage but I can just Pacify and not worry about it while I possibly still attack. If I have a big boy myself, I can just Snare your small dudes away with high efficiency (though I wouldn't be using my mana elsewhere.) I think there is just too much control over when and how I'd use it.
Back to the drawing board. Thanks

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

How's this version looking?
Snare v2
Artifact
Flash (You may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.)

Snare doesn't untap during your untap step.

T: Target creature you don't control can't attack for as long as Snare remains tapped.

3: Return Snare to its owner's hand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”