Multi-Tribe Lord Cycle (WIP)

Icarii
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Harvok, King of Graves 2BB
Legendary Creature - Skeleton Warrior (R)
Other undead you control get +1/+1. (skeletons, vampires, and zombies are undead,)
XXB: Return up to X target undead creatures with a converted mana cost X or less from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
3/4

Bolliac, Pride of Nations 4WW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight (R)
Other troops you control have first strike and lifelink. (Archers, knights, and soldiers are troops.)
XXW: Create X 1/1 white Soldier creature token.
4/4

Jorkorul, the Wave Breather 4UUU
Legendary Creature - Leviathan (R)
Whenever you cast Jorkorul, the Wave Breather or another sea monster, untap an island you control for each U in it's mana cost. (Krakens, leviathans, octopuses, and serpents are sea monsters.)
XXU: Tap up to X target nonland permanents.
7/7

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Neat. I suppose, I'll have to add Commune with the Troops to Commune with the Depths and Commune with the Dead. : )

Troops are an interesting not obvious choice, but I could see it. I'm not a fan of all the activated abilities.

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

Harvok seems like he'd want to provide undead with undying instead of a straight buff. The activation cost hints at a deck with low cmc creatures with Harvok at the top. With undying you could focus more on the rest of your plan rather than dumping more and more Mana into that activation. The undead would be coming in "fresh" and the threat of Harvok would loom while you're perhaps filling your yard.

Scouts could be troops but could be is a big can of subjective worms.

The cast trigger Jorkorul is great. It really leaves you open to protect your monsters or hit that activation cost one threatening thing his first turn out.

The groupings all make sense but there is so much room for discussion of what is or is not included in each.

Similar to how strong undying would be on Harvok I think 5 cmc would be strong for bolliac but hey, it isn't crazy

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

No love for Wraiths and Specters (undead), Warriors and Scouts (troops), or Squid (sea monster)?
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

I debated on how obvious or non obvious to keep the types involved. I felt White as a color had the least association with specific creature types (outside of angels and archons) but was heavily tied to armies so bent toward the less obvious their.

Undying is super anti-synergistic to Harvok and adds another keyword to a set's design. It's not what I'm aiming to support here. I thought the simple lord +1/+1 would be great for the low costing udnead you could continue to bring back.

I separated out incorporeal creatures from my use of Undead here. I realize this may not tie into DnDish lore, but I want to keep ghost-like beings out of it.

I did consider Scouts and would be open to including that. Warriors I nixed because for me they are less a part of the formal army than I was envisioning for "troops".

Squid could work here too I suppose. It's such an underused creature type though.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I'm fine with Warriors (and Scouts) not being part of "troops". Warriors are meant to theoretically be undisciplined, individual fighters. Plus they fit premade into another category - brutes? Ruffians? The green category can easily be vermin although there is the issue of Rats being the odd type out in color terms, with Insect, Spider, and Squirrel clearly being green types.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

When I made the same batch words (at least undead and sea monster) I also could rely on precedence by Wizards of the Coast provided in Undead Slayer and Whelming Wave.

More semi-official batch words once considered by them are mage (Cleric, Druid, Shaman and Wizard) and fighter (Knight, Soldier and Warrior). There was also "thief" (in what I assume to be not a final name for Archer, Assassin and Rogue).

Maybe Shade(?), Specter, Wraith and Spirit could collectively be referred to as souls, ghosts or apparitions.

If green chose vegetation (Fungus, Plant, Treefolk), there would be no odd one out.

I like 'ruffian' though 'brute' has things going for it as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”