Get A Clue: Maryhk, Street Preacher, Enk, Battle Scholar, and Gogugy, Revealed

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Maryhk, Street Preacher
1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
, exile a non-Spirit permanent you control: Create a 2/2 colorless Spirit creature token.

Sacrifice three Spirits: Each player returns to the battlefield all non-Spirit permanent cards in each graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn.

2/4
Enk, Battle Scholar
GR
Legendary Planeswalker - Enk
Enk, Battle Scholar is a 2/1 Goblin Mercenary creature with haste that's still a planeswalker.
[0]: Investigate.
[0]: Sacrifice a permanent. If you do, Enk, Battle Scholar deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.

Gogugy, Revealed
2UUBB
Legendary Planeswalker - Gogugy
Flash
Gogugy, Revealed is a 4/4 Horror Wizard creature with Flying that's still a planeswalker.
At the beginning of each end step, set Gogugy, Revealed's Loyalty to 4.
[-3]: Draw a card.
[-4]: Gain control of target permanent.

Old
Show
Hide
Maryhk, Street Preacher
1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric
, sacrifice a non-Spirit permanent: Create a 2/2 colorless Spirit creature token.

Sacrifice three Spirits: Each player returns to the battlefield all non-Spirit permanent cards in each graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn.

2/4

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure if the planeswalkers even remotely work as formatted. Any advice on that front would be particularly appreciated.
Last edited by NUMBERS 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Maryhk is a one card combo engine. While it needs some powerful mana rocks to go infinite it's far too strong on it's own as it can save any permanents dor the cost of 3

The walkers function but they are unreasonably bad. You've gave them all the combined weaknesses of a creature and a planeswalker with essentially 0 benefit. The planeswalkers that currently become creatures have some way of stopping damage from removing their loyalty.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

These look pretty interesting!

I do feel obligated to point out that Marhyk is broken as currently implemented - it goes trivially infinite by sacrificing lands. The second ability may require another limiting factor - either a tap ability, exiling Marhyk, or something else. In a vacuum, it reminds me a lot of Meloku the Clouded Mirror - cash in extra lands (or whatever else) for an army. Seems very powerful in any sort of low-curve aggro deck.

As written, the planeswalkers appear to function correctly - I'll point to Gideon Blackblade, who has roughly the same text.

Enk and Gogugy bother me somewhat - they seem like they want to be just creatures with tap abilities, which is also a much simpler (and less wordy) design. Is there a reason why they have to be planeswalkers?

I'm also not entirely sure if Enk's investigate ability is in Gruul's color pie - green's draw usually requires lands or creatures (see Tireless Tracker and Beast Whisperer). It doesn't get the ability to repeatedly draw cards directly. Red's card draw usually takes the form of rummaging or impulsive draw. I'll point to Destructive Digger as something worth considering - 'Sacrifice a permanent: Investigate' seems like something in red's color pie, and has a nice parallel to the other ability.

NUMBERS

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

I appreciate the catches on Marhyk especially; I think updating it to exile instead of sacrifice for the first ability should help curb some of it's more obvious problematic interactions.

As for the planeswalkers. I definitely need to give them more thought. I initially thought I was being cuter with Goguy than I actually was (although I still like that its draw ability equivocates to "deal 3 damage to this"). I was worried more... radical explorations of this type of design space would be too complex to track - which may be a small part of why it has yet to be really done.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Remember one of the R&D maxims: just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Doing it just because we can is a good way to risk making bad cards. E.g. Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded was entirely "I bet we can make a CMC 2 planeswalker" and it did not go well.

In Waging War of the Spark, part 1 Mark Rosewater talks about having planeswalkers with only static abilities, only plus abilities, and only minus abilities. Of the three only the minus abilities played well. They decided to mash together the static abilities and minus abilities, and have some with plus abilities as well. Gogugy counteracts the part that made the minus abilities play well.

Planeswalkers should feel planeswalkery. They should be doing something that makes the card specifically benefit from its planeswalker-y-ness. In this case there's little reason for those cards to be planeswalkers, especially with being full-time creatures. Gogugy might as well just be an ordinary creature that gives you +1 draw and which can be sacrificed to gain control of a permanent. Enk might as well just be a goblin with a Fling ability and "Whenever Enk attacks, investigate." They'd be fine and cool as that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”