K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth Questions

Locked Previous topicNext topic
ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I had a few questions about K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth but I am not sure if its known or unknown as to how some of his mechanics work.

1) Can I pay alternate abilities like say cycling with life instead of black mana symbols?
2) Activating abilities of cards like say Greed?

Essentially, I can't really tell if K'rrik is only used to cast or alternative cast like overload or something or if he can be used on any black mana symbols. I feel like he is only to be used to cast spells given what I am seeing but I wanted to see if anyone knew otherwise.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 4 years ago
You can do that. K'rrik only cares about "costs" and Cycling and other other activated abilities (like Greed) have costs. As long as those costs use the black symbol, you can use life to pay for them.

Also worth noting is that this works for triggers too. Since a popular one now is Extort, I will use that as an example (and cover the Hybrid aspect too). Since the trigger has a cost, K'rrik lets you pay it with life as long as it uses the black mana symbol. And, Hybrid is considered both symbols so K'rrik lets you pay for that too.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

You can do that. K'rrik only cares about "costs" and Cycling and other other activated abilities (like Greed) have costs. As long as those costs use the black symbol, you can use life to pay for them.

Also worth noting is that this works for triggers too. Since a popular one now is Extort, I will use that as an example (and cover the Hybrid aspect too). Since the trigger has a cost, K'rrik lets you pay it with life as long as it uses the black mana symbol. And, Hybrid is considered both symbols so K'rrik lets you pay for that too.

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

K'rrik's second ability can apply, among other circumstances, while casting a spell or activating an ability whose "cost that will be paid" as it's done includes hybrid or Phyrexian mana symbols, since the player casting that spell or activating that ability chooses what each relevant hybrid or Phyrexian mana symbol means before figuring the total cost of that spell or ability (C.R. 601.2a, 601.2f), which will include neither hybrid nor Phyrexian mana symbols.

K'rrik's second ability would be clearer if it said "For each black mana symbol" instead of "For each B" (compare Drought as printed in Ice Age with its Oracle text [C.R. 108.1]) (see also C.R. 107.4e-f), but it remains to be seen whether K'rrik's text will be changed to have that clarification.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

What is the ruling for K'rrik when used with Drain Life, Consume Spirit, and Soul Burn? I'm assuming that the restrictions of the cards don't actually change the mana symbols on them, but I want to confirm it explicitly.

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
4 years ago
What is the ruling for K'rrik when used with Drain Life, Consume Spirit, and Soul Burn? I'm assuming that the restrictions of the cards don't actually change the mana symbols on them, but I want to confirm it explicitly.
K'rrik's second ability doesn't affect generic mana that appears in costs. (X is a generic mana symbol [C.R. 107.4b].) In general, generic mana in a cost can be paid with any type of mana unless an effect (such as found in Consume Spirit, Drain Life, or Soul Burn) states otherwise (C.R. 107.4b, 101.1).

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

I think we need to see a ruling on K'rrik before we can conclude how it affects Phyrexian or Hybrid mana.

Effect like Morophon's don't reduce Phyrexian or Hybrid mana because those symbols equal the normal colored mana symbols, they reduce those costs because specific rules support enable that cost reduction to carry over to those symbols. I'm not aware of any such rules support for K'rrik's ability so he may care about exactly only B symbols unless they rule that it should be interpreted as a cost reduction effect.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 4 years ago

Phyrexian is irrelevant as its ability transform any B in Phyrexian.
Hybrid has already been confirmed (don't recall on which twitter, if Gavin or someone else) as working because it's not a cost reduction, it's a method of paying a cost (just like Convoke/Delve/Improvise)
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

Kahedron
Non-Euclidean Polyhedron
Answers: 3

Post by Kahedron » 4 years ago

This thread is now getting a bit bloated with new batches of questions so I'm going to close it here.

Before I do so I will say this the ability on K'rrik is not one that reduces the cost of a spell like on edgewalker rather as Caleblost says it alters how you can pay for a cost represented by b symbol it does not matter if that symbol is found as part of a normal mana symbol, hybrid, monocolour hybrid or Phyrexian mana symbol. As long as you choose it to be equal to a B mana symbol you can spend 2 life to satisfy its cost.
Thread Locked

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats.
- H.L Mencken

I Became insane with long Intervals of horrible Sanity

All Religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination and poetry.
- Edgar Allan Poe

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”