Endless Whispers and delayed triggers

Thornstrike
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Thornstrike » 4 years ago

Had an issue crop up tonight with Endless Whispers. When several creatures die in a single turn, what order do they return in? Do they return all at once, or do the delayed triggers cause them to come back one at a time? And if the latter, who chooses the order of the triggers, the previous creature's controller or the player they're coming under the control of?

Accepted Answer

by Necrofish » 4 years ago
Without pulling out the exact rules, each player chooses the order of their controlled triggers if they trigger at the same time. This usually applies with triggered effects like "At the start of your upkeep" or similar. Since the effect is on the creatures itself and not the permanent, that means each player decides in which order their controlled creatures trigger.
Should effects controlled by two or more different players trigger at the same time, the order usually goes APNAP (Active Player, Non-Active Player).

In this case the active player would first decide in which order his controlled creatures trigger and then the next person (should there be more than two players in a game, in turn order) decides how their controlled creatures trigger.
EDIT: Reading through your questions again, there has to be an order. They come back one after another. Whoever controlled the creature before it died chooses when it is their turn to choose.

If anyone finds any issues with my statement, please correct me!
EDIT: It matters who controls which effect. Switched "owned" with "controlled"
Go to full post

Necrofish
Answers: 2

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

Without pulling out the exact rules, each player chooses the order of their controlled triggers if they trigger at the same time. This usually applies with triggered effects like "At the start of your upkeep" or similar. Since the effect is on the creatures itself and not the permanent, that means each player decides in which order their controlled creatures trigger.
Should effects controlled by two or more different players trigger at the same time, the order usually goes APNAP (Active Player, Non-Active Player).

In this case the active player would first decide in which order his controlled creatures trigger and then the next person (should there be more than two players in a game, in turn order) decides how their controlled creatures trigger.
EDIT: Reading through your questions again, there has to be an order. They come back one after another. Whoever controlled the creature before it died chooses when it is their turn to choose.

Last edited by Necrofish 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

WiseWarriorQc
Answers: 13

Post by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago

Necrofish wrote:
4 years ago

In this case the active player would first decide in which order his own creatures trigger and then the next person (should there be more than two players in a game, in turn order) decides how their controlled creatures trigger.

With edits taken into account, Necrofish got this right.
I'm a former judge (lapsed), who keeps up to date on rules and policy. Keep in mind that judges' answers aren't necessarily more valid than those of people who aren't judges; what matters is we can quote the rules to back up our answers. When in doubt, ask for such quotes.

Thornstrike

Post by Thornstrike » 4 years ago

Thanks. That's exactly what I thought, but it was 2-1 against me. Didn't matter in the end, just was the difference between 1 and 4 damage to player's faces in a commander game, but I wanted to find out how it should have happened.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”