Mirroweaving My Commander

Random Scrub
No shields!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Random Scrub » 4 years ago

Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist is one my partner commanders and out on the battlefield. I also control Loyal Subordinate and say 8 random creature tokens. During my pre-combat main phase I use Mirrorweave to make every creature a copy of Loyal Subordinate.

When it goes to my combat, even though my commander is turned into a different creature, will all 10 of my Loyal Subordinates (including the former Ludevic) still see I control a commander and trigger to make my opponents each lose 30 life? In other words turning my commander into something else doesn't stop it from being my commander, right?

Accepted Answer

by Necrofish » 4 years ago
Each deck has a legendary creature card designated as its commander. This designation is not a characteristic of the object represented by the card; rather, it is an attribute of the card itself. The card retains this designation even when it changes zones.
Example: A commander that's been turned face down (due to Ixidron's effect, for example) is still a commander. A commander that's copying another card (due to Cytoshape's effect, for example) is still a commander. A permanent that's copying a commander (such as a Body Double, for example, copying a commander in a player's graveyard) is not a commander.
From my understanding the commander type is attached to the physical card. It doesn't matter if you copy another creature, it's morphed, flipped, coloured green or ten inches big.
So yes, it's still your commander.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Right. Commander...ness is a value of a literal, physical card. Being a commander, is, as MTGCommander.net's rules say, "a property of the card and not a characteristic of the game object."
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Necrofish
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Necrofish » 4 years ago

Each deck has a legendary creature card designated as its commander. This designation is not a characteristic of the object represented by the card; rather, it is an attribute of the card itself. The card retains this designation even when it changes zones.
Example: A commander that's been turned face down (due to Ixidron's effect, for example) is still a commander. A commander that's copying another card (due to Cytoshape's effect, for example) is still a commander. A permanent that's copying a commander (such as a Body Double, for example, copying a commander in a player's graveyard) is not a commander.
From my understanding the commander type is attached to the physical card. It doesn't matter if you copy another creature, it's morphed, flipped, coloured green or ten inches big.
So yes, it's still your commander.
Wydwen is much too cool for you.[/size]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”