Urza and X Spells

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 4 years ago

Blue Sun's Zenith
Urza, Lord High Artificer
Capsize
If I reveal a BSZ with Urzas ability can I pay the X or will it always be zero? If I reveal Capsize can I pay the buyback cost?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
If you cast an instant or sorcery spell due to Urza's third ability "without paying its mana cost"--
  • "the only legal choice for X is 0" if that spell has X in its mana cost (C.R. 107.3b) (the only exception at the time of this writing is Spoils of War [C.R. 107.3c]), but
  • any additional costs, such as buyback, still apply, so that, for example, you can pay the buyback cost for Capsize if you cast it "without paying its mana cost" (C.R. 118.9, 118.9d, 702.26a).
Go to full post

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

If you cast an instant or sorcery spell due to Urza's third ability "without paying its mana cost"--
  • "the only legal choice for X is 0" if that spell has X in its mana cost (C.R. 107.3b) (the only exception at the time of this writing is Spoils of War [C.R. 107.3c]), but
  • any additional costs, such as buyback, still apply, so that, for example, you can pay the buyback cost for Capsize if you cast it "without paying its mana cost" (C.R. 118.9, 118.9d, 702.26a).
Last edited by peteroupc 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 4 years ago

Great thank you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”