Cascading into Hardened Scales

CriesInUUU
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CriesInUUU » 4 years ago

Hey guys, my EDH table had a small disagreement regarding an interaction with Hardened Scales, Animar, Soul of Elements, and Bloodbraid Elf. Animar was already in play, and OP cast Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Hardened Scales. The amount of counters is where the disagreement happens. My understanding is that the following happens.

1) OP cast Bloodbraid Elf
2) Both the cascade trigger and +1/+1 for Animar go on the stack at the same time
3) OP resolves cascade first, hitting Hardened Scales resolving it so it hits play
4) Animars +1/+1 ability resolves and Hardened Scales is in play so he gets (2) counters from Bloodbraid Elf

We ultimately let the player keep both counters, but I'd like to know how this actually works. Thank you!

**Edited to correct card tags

Accepted Answer

by lyonhaert » 4 years ago
It's entirely possible to do it that way, yes.

Both Animar's trigger and Bloodbraid's trigger go on the stack in whichever order their controller chooses, so the latter could be put on top to Cascade and get Hardened Scales onto the battlefield before Animar actually gets its +1/+1 counter.
Go to full post
Last edited by CriesInUUU 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

It's entirely possible to do it that way, yes.

Both Animar's trigger and Bloodbraid's trigger go on the stack in whichever order their controller chooses, so the latter could be put on top to Cascade and get Hardened Scales onto the battlefield before Animar actually gets its +1/+1 counter.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”