Stack Exchange

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

I activate Shipbreaker Kraken's monstrous ability. Opponent responds with Mistmeadow Witch's ability targeting Shipbreaker Kraken. I respond with Peel from Reality targeting Mistmeadow Witch and Shipbreaker Kraken. Opponent responds with a second activation of Mistmeadow Witch's ability, this time targeting the Mistmeadow Witch itself. How does this unfold? Does Peel from Reality resolve? Does the Kraken's triggered ability go on the stack / resolve?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 years ago
A couple of things worth clearing up:

It seems the second activation targeted the Witch which means the other target of Peel (the Kraken) is still legal. So, peel resolves to bounce that to hand.

Even if that weren't the case, the scenario outlines suggested that all of this is happening with the Monstrous activated ability on the stack so even if the Witch exiles it, that happens before it becomes Monstrous the trigger does nothing. If this is happening in response to the trigger for some reason, RxPhantom has it right that they will still untap since the object is not the same that tapped them but as far as I can tell, they shouldn't be tapped anyway and the Kraken should end up in the hand,
Go to full post
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

Not a judge, but I'd like to think I have a solid grasp of the rules.
I think the stack would resolve like this:

Witch exiles itself to return at end of turn.
Peel fizzles.
Kraken is exiled to return at end of turn.
Kraken's ability resolves and taps the target creatures, They'll get to untap at their controllers' next untap step, though, because the game doesn't recognize at as being the same creature.

Would love confirmation.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

WizardMN
Answers: 125

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

It seems the second activation targeted the Witch which means the other target of Peel (the Kraken) is still legal. So, peel resolves to bounce that to hand.

Even if that weren't the case, the scenario outlines suggested that all of this is happening with the Monstrous activated ability on the stack so even if the Witch exiles it, that happens before it becomes Monstrous the trigger does nothing. If this is happening in response to the trigger for some reason, RxPhantom has it right that they will still untap since the object is not the same that tapped them but as far as I can tell, they shouldn't be tapped anyway and the Kraken should end up in the hand,

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

Oy.

I suck.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago

Cool. This is how I executed it, but my opponents had me second-guessing myself. Thanks.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”