Damping Sphere vs Mana Doublers

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

The other day I got into a situation where I had a Damping Sphere and my opponent had some double mana effects. I honestly can't recall which ones they were exactly so lets just say Mana Reflection and Regal Behemoth for example. Are there some of these that this effect does and or does not work against? I think in the case we were in they were ones that provided an additional mana when tapped which is why they convinced me it didn't do anything to it.

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 2 years ago
For purposes of Damping Sphere's first ability, triggered mana abilities (such as found in Regal Behemoth and Wild Growth) are different from abilities that replace mana a permanent produces (e.g., Mana Reflection, Nyxbloom Ancient, and Contamination).

Abilities of the latter kind can replace the amount of mana a permanent produces if tapped for mana.

For example, if you control Nyxbloom Ancient, Damping Sphere is on the battlefield, and you tap a land you control for—
  • exactly one mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount.
  • two or more mana, it produces either C or CCC instead, your choice (C.R. 616.1, 616.1d-e, 616.2).
This is because Nyxbloom Ancient's effect replaces the amount of mana the land would otherwise produce when it's tapped for mana. Damping Sphere, however, applies only if the land would produce more than one mana, so that in the first case above, Nyxbloom Ancient changes the one mana to three, then Damping Sphere kicks in and changes the three mana to C (C.R. 616.2).

On the other hand, Wild Growth's triggered ability doesn't add to the amount of mana the enchanted land would produce when tapped for mana, since it's a triggered ability from Wild Growth (C.R. 603.1), rather than a replacement effect. More generally, triggered mana abilities don't change the amount of mana the permanent it refers to produces.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

(clarifying)

IT does not work against any triggered effects like Regal Behemoth or Keeper of Progenitus

For lands that produce a single mana normally, they get wastes (they have to apply mana reflection, which makes it tap for GG, the it becomes C after sphere)

For lands that produce >1 mana normally, they end up making CC (since they choose damping sphere first, then apply reflection doubling after to make CC).

ref:

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 2 years ago

For purposes of Damping Sphere's first ability, triggered mana abilities (such as found in Regal Behemoth and Wild Growth) are different from abilities that replace mana a permanent produces (e.g., Mana Reflection, Nyxbloom Ancient, and Contamination).

Abilities of the latter kind can replace the amount of mana a permanent produces if tapped for mana.

For example, if you control Nyxbloom Ancient, Damping Sphere is on the battlefield, and you tap a land you control for—
  • exactly one mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount.
  • two or more mana, it produces either C or CCC instead, your choice (C.R. 616.1, 616.1d-e, 616.2).
This is because Nyxbloom Ancient's effect replaces the amount of mana the land would otherwise produce when it's tapped for mana. Damping Sphere, however, applies only if the land would produce more than one mana, so that in the first case above, Nyxbloom Ancient changes the one mana to three, then Damping Sphere kicks in and changes the three mana to C (C.R. 616.2).

On the other hand, Wild Growth's triggered ability doesn't add to the amount of mana the enchanted land would produce when tapped for mana, since it's a triggered ability from Wild Growth (C.R. 603.1), rather than a replacement effect. More generally, triggered mana abilities don't change the amount of mana the permanent it refers to produces.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”