is "elder dragon" the same as "dragon"?

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Examples; Shadrix Silverquill, Demonlord Belzenlok

I had this idea last night and after sleeping on it, my interpretation suggests to me, since there's no commas in the type line to differentiate race from class/occupation, that there must be some difference.

I.e. if Kaalia, Zenith Seeker can find Griselbrand with her triggered ability, does that mean she can't find the aforementioned Belzenlok, since "elder demon" isn't specified? Same question for Sarkhan's Triumph finding say, a Thundermaw Hellkite but being unable to fetch up the aforementioned Shadrix?

Am I too deeply leaned into some RAW (rules as written) vs RAI (rules as intended) connundrum? Or is my mind just beginning to go in my old age?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 2 years ago
Creatures have all of their types in their typelines and are affected by anything that cares about any single one. Canopy Tactician gets bonuses from Elvish Champion and Bramblewood Paragon both. "Elder Dragon" is both "Elder" and "Dragon". So, Kaalia's ability can put into hand anything that is a Demon, Elder Demon, Demon Warrior, or Demon Spirit (or changeling), and Sarkhan's Triumph can find Shadrix Silverquill and Dragon Mage as easily as Shivan Dragon.

EDIT: And yes, there's no mechanical difference between the "race" types like Human, Goblin, and Angel and the "class" types like Peasant, Soldier, and Wizard.
Go to full post

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Creatures have all of their types in their typelines and are affected by anything that cares about any single one. Canopy Tactician gets bonuses from Elvish Champion and Bramblewood Paragon both. "Elder Dragon" is both "Elder" and "Dragon". So, Kaalia's ability can put into hand anything that is a Demon, Elder Demon, Demon Warrior, or Demon Spirit (or changeling), and Sarkhan's Triumph can find Shadrix Silverquill and Dragon Mage as easily as Shivan Dragon.

EDIT: And yes, there's no mechanical difference between the "race" types like Human, Goblin, and Angel and the "class" types like Peasant, Soldier, and Wizard.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

I had a feeling I was being too literal and overthinking what is otherwise a fairly cut and dry open shut case, so thanks for that.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”