Assorted Rionya, Fire Dancer questions

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

1. I move to combat with Rionya, Fire Dancer in play. With her trigger on the stack I cast some number of instants. When her triggered ability finally resolves, will it count the spells cast after it was already on the stack?

2. Rionya triggers while I have a Heartlash Cinder in play, and I make x copies of it with rionya's ability. Will the copies have a red pip, and if so will they "see" all the other copies' pips as they etb simultaneously?

3. Sort of similar to #2, but this time it's a Metallic Mimic. Assuming they all name the same creature type, will they all receive additional counters since they etb simultaneously, similar to Cathars' Crusade with multiple simultaneous creature etbs?

Accepted Answer

by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
1. I move to combat with Rionya, Fire Dancer in play. With her trigger on the stack I cast some number of instants. When her triggered ability finally resolves, will it count the spells cast after it was already on the stack?
Yes. The ability will count the number of instants and sorceries you've cast upon its resolution, when the effect is applied.
608.2h If an effect requires information from the game (such as the number of creatures on the battlefield), the answer is determined only once, when the effect is applied ...
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
2. Rionya triggers while I have a Heartlash Cinder in play, and I make x copies of it with rionya's ability. Will the copies have a red pip, and if so will they "see" all the other copies' pips as they etb simultaneously?
Yes to both.
Copies include mana cost, so each token copy will have a mana cost of 1R.
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The copiable values are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects ...
As above, the triggered ability will count the number of red symbols upon its resolution. By the time that happens, all of the copies have been put on to the battlefield, and assuming they're still there, the result is exponential.
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
3. Sort of similar to #2, but this time it's a Metallic Mimic. Assuming they all name the same creature type, will they all receive additional counters since they etb simultaneously, similar to Cathars' Crusade with multiple simultaneous creature etbs?
No. A replacement ability has to currently exist at the time what its replacing happens in order to modify it. This means Metalic Mimic must already be on the battlefield when a creature enters in order to modify how it enters (give it a counter). As all of these tokens enter the battlefield at the same time, each of their effects doesn't yet exist, since they are not yet on the battlefield. This is the same as how Metalic Mimic never gives himself a +1/+1 counter, and is the same if you have multiple Mimics enter the battlefield through any other means.
614.4. Replacement effects must exist before the appropriate event occur ...
Go to full post
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Yes. The ability will count the number of instants and sorceries you've cast upon its resolution, when the effect is applied.
608.2h If an effect requires information from the game (such as the number of creatures on the battlefield), the answer is determined only once, when the effect is applied ...
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Yes to both.
Copies include mana cost, so each token copy will have a mana cost of 1R.
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The copiable values are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects ...
As above, the triggered ability will count the number of red symbols upon its resolution. By the time that happens, all of the copies have been put on to the battlefield, and assuming they're still there, the result is exponential.
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
No. A replacement ability has to currently exist at the time what its replacing happens in order to modify it. This means Metalic Mimic must already be on the battlefield when a creature enters in order to modify how it enters (give it a counter). As all of these tokens enter the battlefield at the same time, each of their effects doesn't yet exist, since they are not yet on the battlefield. This is the same as how Metalic Mimic never gives himself a +1/+1 counter, and is the same if you have multiple Mimics enter the battlefield through any other means.
614.4. Replacement effects must exist before the appropriate event occur ...
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Not sure if the proper etiquette would be to start a new thread now that I received my answer a few days ago, but I have another Rionya, Fire Dancer question:

Suppose I copy Humble Defector X times with Rionya's trigger: if I tap the hasty token copies to activate their ability, thus drawing 2 cards per tapped token and donating them to target opponent(s), will the tokens still exile at the beginning of the next end step since their new controller(s) do not also control Rionya which instructs them to exile?
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Argus
Answers: 53
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Suppose I copy Humble Defector X times with Rionya's trigger: if I tap the hasty token copies to activate their ability, thus drawing 2 cards per tapped token and donating them to target opponent(s), will the tokens still exile at the beginning of the next end step since their new controller(s) do not also control Rionya which instructs them to exile?
Unlike sacrifice, "exile" does not care about control. (Otherwise, cards like Banishing Light would be pointless.) You will exile them at the beginning of the next end step.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”