Nevinyrral Combo Question

Jagermorder
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Jagermorder » 3 years ago

So I'm working on a combo, but I'm not sure how these card abilities would resolve.

I activate Yahenni, Undying Partisan to sacrifice Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant then activate his board wipe and at some point in there I cast Undying Evil or something similar to keep Nevinyrral (Larry) on the board.

I'm trying to keep Nevinyrral and Yahenni on the board after the board wipe, but I'm just not how the stack resolves. So, is that possible with how things trigger?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 3 years ago
Without another creature to sac to Yahenni, it is not possible. But, you can at least "save" Nev.

So, you cast Undying Evil first, targeting Nev. You then activate Yahenni's ability putting it onto the stack. You then pay the cost of sacrificing a creature (Nev in this case). This puts both Nev's "dies" trigger on the stack along with the Undying trigger. You will want the Undying trigger to resolve second so it comes back after the board wipe. The stack looks like this:

Nev's Wipe ability
Undying
Yahenni's Activated ability
BOTTOM

The Wipe ability resolves and you pay {1} at that time. If you do, everything is destroyed, including Yahenni since he doesn't have indestructible yet. Then, the Undying trigger resolves and Nev comes back.

Finally, Yahenni's ability resolves but does nothing since Yahenni is gone. If you had another creature to sac, you could do so after Nev's triggers are on the stack so the new Yahenni ability would resolve before Nev's triggers and it would then have indestructible prior to Nev wiping the board.
Go to full post
Last edited by Jagermorder 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Without another creature to sac to Yahenni, it is not possible. But, you can at least "save" Nev.

So, you cast Undying Evil first, targeting Nev. You then activate Yahenni's ability putting it onto the stack. You then pay the cost of sacrificing a creature (Nev in this case). This puts both Nev's "dies" trigger on the stack along with the Undying trigger. You will want the Undying trigger to resolve second so it comes back after the board wipe. The stack looks like this:

Nev's Wipe ability
Undying
Yahenni's Activated ability
BOTTOM

The Wipe ability resolves and you pay {1} at that time. If you do, everything is destroyed, including Yahenni since he doesn't have indestructible yet. Then, the Undying trigger resolves and Nev comes back.

Finally, Yahenni's ability resolves but does nothing since Yahenni is gone. If you had another creature to sac, you could do so after Nev's triggers are on the stack so the new Yahenni ability would resolve before Nev's triggers and it would then have indestructible prior to Nev wiping the board.

Jagermorder
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Jagermorder » 3 years ago

So when I cast Undying Evil on Nev, do I let the spell resolve or do I leave the spell on the stack?

I have lots of similar combos in this deck, one other one that's quirky is the same thing only I'm using an Athreos, Shroud-Veiled coin counter or a Kaya the Inexorable ghostform counter instead of Undying Evil to bring Nev back on the table. This is a commander deck, so I'm trying to reduce the commander tax that's going to inevitable get put on Nev.

Also, thanks for the feedback! :party:

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Undying Evil needs to resolve before you start any of your "combo" above. That is, Nev must have Undying before anything else starts. You don't need to try to inject Undying Evil into a particular point on the stack. Cast it, let it resolve, then start everything else with your stack shenanigans.

Kaya and Athreos function basically the same as the situation above where they need to have already put the coin counter on Nev or be attached to Nev before you get to the point of sacrificing him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”