Snapdax Mutate Question

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 3 years ago

Snapdax, Apex of the Hunt

If I trigger thi cards ability and my opponents have no legal targets do I still gain 4 life?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 3 years ago
The Desacrator wrote:
3 years ago

If I trigger thi cards ability and my opponents have no legal targets do I still gain 4 life?
If you can't choose a target, you simply remove the ability from the stack rather than complete the process of putting it on the stack. It will never resolve, so you don't gain 4 life.
603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c–d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.
Ikoria™: Lair of Behemoths Release Notes

Compiled by Eli Shiffrin, with contributions from Laurie Cheers, Tom Fowler, Carsten Haese, Nathan Long, and Thijs van Ommen

If there is no legal target for Snapdax's triggered ability when it triggers, it won't be put onto the stack at all and you won't gain 4 life. Similarly, if the target creature or planeswalker is an illegal target by the time the ability tries to resolve, the ability won't resolve and you won't gain 4 life.
Go to full post

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

The Desacrator wrote:
3 years ago

If you can't choose a target, you simply remove the ability from the stack rather than complete the process of putting it on the stack. It will never resolve, so you don't gain 4 life.
603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c–d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.
Ikoria™: Lair of Behemoths Release Notes

Compiled by Eli Shiffrin, with contributions from Laurie Cheers, Tom Fowler, Carsten Haese, Nathan Long, and Thijs van Ommen

If there is no legal target for Snapdax's triggered ability when it triggers, it won't be put onto the stack at all and you won't gain 4 life. Similarly, if the target creature or planeswalker is an illegal target by the time the ability tries to resolve, the ability won't resolve and you won't gain 4 life.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

The Desacrator

Post by The Desacrator » 3 years ago

Thought so, thank you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”