ETB vs Enters With

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

If I have both Naban, Dean of Iteration and Metallic Mimic on wizards. Do new wizards trigger with one or two counters on them? I feel like its just one but the wording on Neban made me question it a little.

EDIT: I checked gatherer and it looks like there is a rule answer for this exact question. Sorry about that.

"Replacement effects are unaffected by Naban's first ability. For example, a Wizard that enters the battlefield with one +1/+1 counter on it won't receive an additional +1/+1 counter."

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 3 years ago
With one. Metallic Mimic has, in point of fact, no triggered abilities - "ETBs with" is a static ability that applies before the creature hits the battlefield, which is why most Hydras don't just die to SBAs.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

With one. Metallic Mimic has, in point of fact, no triggered abilities - "ETBs with" is a static ability that applies before the creature hits the battlefield, which is why most Hydras don't just die to SBAs.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 3 years ago

Naban's ability affects only certain triggered abilities. Metallic Mimic's first and last abilities are not triggered abilities, since they don't begin with "when", "whenever", or "at" (C.R. 603.1), so Naban doesn't affect those abilities — meaning that a creature doesn't enter the battlefield with more counters than it otherwise would in the absence of Naban. Notably, none of the following is a triggered ability:
  • An ability of the form "[Something] enters the battlefield with...".
  • An ability of the form "As [something] enters the battlefield, ..." (e.g., Caged Sun's first ability).
  • An ability of the form "You may have [this permanent] enter the battlefield..." (e.g., Clone's ability).
See also this thread, this thread, and this thread.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”