Miara, Thorn of the Glade Trigger Question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

With Miara, Thorn of the Glade, do you pay the mana on the elf dying or is it on resolution of the effect where you would also draw? I guess I don't know how the triggers work. The best I can imagine it always triggers when an elf dies and when the ability resolves it then checks to see if you will pay to draw.

I guess I am asking a little bit indirectly if I could get Pawn of Ulamog / Sifter of Skulls / Pitiless Plunderer to make their tokens and then use those to pay to draw from Miara, Thorn of the Glade. If somehow it requires me to pay to put the effect on the stack (I don't see it working that way) then I wouldn't be able to get my mana for them first.

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 3 years ago
Paying a cost within a triggered ability is done during resolution. The ability does indeed always trigger when one of your Elves dies and then you decide to pay or not.

In other words you can use e.g. Pawn of Ulamog Spawns' mana abilities to pay by having the Pawn's ability go on the stack later and thus resolve earlier.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Paying a cost within a triggered ability is done during resolution. The ability does indeed always trigger when one of your Elves dies and then you decide to pay or not.

In other words you can use e.g. Pawn of Ulamog Spawns' mana abilities to pay by having the Pawn's ability go on the stack later and thus resolve earlier.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”