Sedris, the Traitor King Ruling Q

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Hi there! So I have Sedris, the Traitor King in play and I have Thassa, Deep-Dwelling in my 'yard. Since Thassa is a creature in every Zone besides the battlefield (where her devotion clause becomes relevant), I assume that I can Unearth her via Sedris' ability.

What would happen if I Unearth Thassa and don't have the devotion to make her a creature? I assume that the Unearth ability still registers and she'll be exiled at EOT (since she won't be able to blink herself)? Or will the Unearth ability fizzle since Thassa is no longer a creature due to lack of Devotion?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 3 years ago
You still exile Thassa at turn's end or if she leaves the battlefield some other way. The delayed triggered ability of unearth only cares that it's the permanent returned by an unearth ability, not what permanent type it is.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

You still exile Thassa at turn's end or if she leaves the battlefield some other way. The delayed triggered ability of unearth only cares that it's the permanent returned by an unearth ability, not what permanent type it is.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
What if she's phases out?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
What if she's phases out?
That's not leaving the battlefield, so the side effect of unearth won't do anything.
702.25d The phasing event doesn't actually cause a permanent to change zones or control, even
though it's treated as though it's not on the battlefield and not under its controller's control
while it's phased out. Zone-change triggers don't trigger when a permanent phases in or out.
Tokens continue to exist on the battlefield while phased out. Counters remain on a permanent
while it's phased out. Effects that check a phased-in permanent's history won't treat the phasing
event as having caused the permanent to leave or enter the battlefield or its controller's control.

702.83a Unearth is an activated ability that functions while the card with unearth is in a graveyard.
"Unearth [cost]" means "[Cost]: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains
haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it
instead of putting it anywhere else. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."
If she is still phased out in the end phase, the delayed trigger "Exile it at the beginning of the next end step." will not exile her (and will not trigger again).
702.25b If a permanent phases out, its status changes to "phased out." Except for rules and effects
that specifically mention phased-out permanents, a phased-out permanent is treated as though it
does not exist. It can't affect or be affected by anything else in the game.A permanent that
phases out is removed from combat. (See rule 506.4.)
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Thanks @Argus!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”