Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and Horn of Greed

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I've been assuming at this point that with Ashaya, Soul of the Wild on the battlefield any "enter the battlefield" effects like landfall will be triggered when a creature enters the battlefield as it's a Forest. Hopefully that is true.

But I'm not sure if Horn of Greed works as I don't know what "playing" means exactly.
The thing that makes me think that it might be is that I know you can play lands off Golos, Tireless Pilgrim as well as cast spells.

Will I get to draw a card for each time I cast a creature with Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and Horn of Greed in play?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 3 years ago
@darrenhabib You are correct that Landfall triggers work just fine with Ashaya as those look at the board state after the creature/land enters and just looks to see if a land entered (which is did).

But, @Atraxian is correct about Horn of Greed. "Playing a land" is a special action and Horn of Green is looking for that special action being taken. In fact, this interaction already exists bundled into one, neat package: Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle. Casting Arixmethes will never cause Horn to trigger since you cast a creature, not played a land. The same is true here.
Go to full post

Atraxian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Atraxian » 3 years ago

Standing to MTG Wiki, "playing a land" is a special action that doesn't use the stack and is different from casting a spell.
Literally it means, Take a land from your hand (or other legal zone) and put it onto the battlefield.
Also from the Comprehensive rules:
305.1. A player who has priority may play a land card from their hand during a main phase of their turn when the stack is empty. Playing a land is a special action; it doesn't use the stack (see rule 116). Rather, the player simply puts the land onto the battlefield. Since the land doesn't go on the stack, it is never a spell, and players can't respond to it with instants or activated abilities.
With that definition, I would say that Horn of Greed will not trigger when creatures spells resolve while controlling Ashaya, Soul of the Wild as you are not "playing a land" but rather casting a creature spell that happens to be a land when it resolves.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

@darrenhabib You are correct that Landfall triggers work just fine with Ashaya as those look at the board state after the creature/land enters and just looks to see if a land entered (which is did).

But, @Atraxian is correct about Horn of Greed. "Playing a land" is a special action and Horn of Green is looking for that special action being taken. In fact, this interaction already exists bundled into one, neat package: Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle. Casting Arixmethes will never cause Horn to trigger since you cast a creature, not played a land. The same is true here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”