Storm questions

densePenguin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by densePenguin » 3 years ago

I was playing on Xmage on TES against an opponent on 5c elementals. My opponent had an Unsettled Mariner out. I had cast Veil of Summer, making all my spells uncounterable. I then cast Tendrils of Agony targetting my opponent. Unsettled Mariner triggered and countered the storm trigger. Is this a bug? veil does not protect your abilities from being countered, but I don't believe the storm trigger targets anyone.

Another question regarding storm. Lets say that I cast Tendrils of Agony, and then in response to the storm trigger my opponent casts Veil of Summer. Am I forced to make the copies target myself, or can I have the copies target the same(illegal) target as the original?

Thank you

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 3 years ago
densePenguin wrote:
3 years ago
I was playing on Xmage on TES against an opponent on 5c elementals. My opponent had an Unsettled Mariner out. I had cast Veil of Summer, making all my spells uncounterable. I then cast Tendrils of Agony targetting my opponent. Unsettled Mariner triggered and countered the storm trigger. Is this a bug? veil does not protect your abilities from being countered, but I don't believe the storm trigger targets anyone.
Yes, that looks like a bug. The storm trigger has no target.
702.39. Storm
702.39a Storm is a triggered ability that functions on the stack. "Storm" means "When you cast this spell, copy it for each other spell that was cast before it this turn. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any of the copies."
densePenguin wrote:
3 years ago
Another question regarding storm. Lets say that I cast Tendrils of Agony, and then in response to the storm trigger my opponent casts Veil of Summer. Am I forced to make the copies target myself, or can I have the copies target the same(illegal) target as the original?

Thank you
You do not have to change the targets of the storm copies, even if those targets are now illegal. Of course, the copies (like the original) would do nothing on resolution.
706.10c Some effects copy a spell or ability and state that its controller may choose new targets for the copy. The player may leave any number of the targets unchanged, even if those targets would be illegal. If the player chooses to change some or all of the targets, the new targets must be legal. Once the player has decided what the copy's targets will be, the copy is put onto the stack with those targets.
Go to full post

Argus
Answers: 53
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

densePenguin wrote:
3 years ago
Yes, that looks like a bug. The storm trigger has no target.
702.39. Storm
702.39a Storm is a triggered ability that functions on the stack. "Storm" means "When you cast this spell, copy it for each other spell that was cast before it this turn. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any of the copies."
densePenguin wrote:
3 years ago

Thank you
You do not have to change the targets of the storm copies, even if those targets are now illegal. Of course, the copies (like the original) would do nothing on resolution.
706.10c Some effects copy a spell or ability and state that its controller may choose new targets for the copy. The player may leave any number of the targets unchanged, even if those targets would be illegal. If the player chooses to change some or all of the targets, the new targets must be legal. Once the player has decided what the copy's targets will be, the copy is put onto the stack with those targets.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

densePenguin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by densePenguin » 3 years ago

Thank you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”