Kalamax and Modular Spells

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 3 years ago

Kalamax, the Stormsire
Cryptic Command

If I have Kalamax tapped and I cast a card like Cryptic Command, do I get to choose new modes on the copied Cryptic Command?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 3 years ago
No. Modes are a copiable value of spells (706.10) and Kalamax and similar effects tell you only to choose new targets, not new modes.
Go to full post

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

No. Modes are a copiable value of spells (706.10) and Kalamax and similar effects tell you only to choose new targets, not new modes.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

The Desacrator

Okay, thank you!

EDIT: Can I change the target modes? SO like the say the original spell taps the creatures but the copy counters a spell?

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

The Desacrator wrote:
3 years ago
EDIT: Can I change the target modes? SO like the say the original spell taps the creatures but the copy counters a spell?
No. I don't see a difference between this and your original question.
706.10. To copy a spell, activated ability, or triggered ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isn't cast and a copy of an activated ability isn't activated. A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs. (See rule 601, "Casting Spells.") Choices that are normally made on resolution are not copied. If an effect of the copy refers to objects used to pay its costs, it uses the objects used to pay the costs of the original spell or ability. A copy of a spell is owned by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell or ability is controlled by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell is itself a spell, even though it has no spell card associated with it. A copy of an ability is itself an ability.
Example: A player casts Fork, targeting an Emerald Charm. Fork reads, "Copy target instant or sorcery spell, except that the copy is red. You may choose new targets for the copy." Emerald Charm is a modal green instant. When the Fork resolves, it puts a copy of the Emerald Charm on the stack except the copy is red, not green. The copy has the same mode that was chosen for the original Emerald Charm. It does not necessarily have the same target, but only because Fork allows choosing of new targets.
Example: Fling is an instant that reads, "As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a creature" and "Fling deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to any target." When determining how much damage a copy of Fling deals, it checks the power of the creature sacrificed to pay for the original Fling.
Example: Dawnglow Infusion is a sorcery that reads, "You gain X life if {G} was spent to cast this spell and X life if {W} was spent to cast it." Because mana isn't an object, a copy of Dawnglow Infusion won't cause you to gain any life, no matter what mana was spent to cast the original spell.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

The Desacrator

Sorry wasn't 100% sure because the abilities both target. I would rather get confirmation than cheat next time the issue comes up. Thank you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”