Instant speed creature theft and equipment.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

This came up in a game last night. Cards involved:
&

Anyway, my opponent moved to equip the sword to one of his creatures, and I used Merieke to steal the creature with the equip ability on the stack. My question is this: does the sword still get equipped despite the creature being mine now? Side note, I understand that I don't actually control the sword, though.

Accepted Answer

by tstorm823 » 3 years ago
The actual text on equip, from 702.6: "Equip [cost]" means "[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target creature you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

If the target creature changes control with the ability on the stack, it is no longer "target creature you control", and is an invalid target, so the ability fizzles.
Go to full post
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by tstorm823 » 3 years ago

The actual text on equip, from 702.6: "Equip [cost]" means "[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target creature you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

If the target creature changes control with the ability on the stack, it is no longer "target creature you control", and is an invalid target, so the ability fizzles.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”