Mutate and Protection

TGambitG
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TGambitG » 3 years ago

I searched for this, and didn't find it, but I'm fairly sure my thinking on this is correct based off my rules knowledge...

Attempting to cast a mutate spell on a creature with protection from creatures cannot happen, as the mutate is still a creature spell on the stack, but it is a mutate creature, not just creature.

So Pro Creatures should stop the ability to mutate a creature, yes?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 3 years ago
Yes, you have it right. A creature with Protection from Creatures cannot be Mutated upon. It is important to recognize this rule as well:

702.16a. Protection is a static ability, written "Protection from [quality]." This quality is usually a color (as in "protection from black") but can be any characteristic value or information. If the quality happens to be a card name, it is treated as such only if the protection ability specifies that the quality is a name. If the quality is a card type, subtype, or supertype, the ability applies to sources that are permanents with that card type, subtype, or supertype and to any sources not on the battlefield that are of that card type, subtype, or supertype. This is an exception to rule 109.2.

This is called out because normally "creatures" would just mean a creature on the battlefield as anywhere else it is a "creature card" or (in Mutate's case) a "creature spell". This rule provides an exception for Protection to be protected against Spells and Triggers from Creature sources not on the battlefield. Which then flows into the rule you stated above.
Go to full post

TGambitG

Relevant rules I think:

702.16b. A permanent or player with protection can't be targeted by spells with the stated quality and can't be targeted by abilities from a source with the stated quality.

And a ruling on Mutate:

A mutating creature spell is a creature spell, even if it won't enter the battlefield as a creature.

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Yes, you have it right. A creature with Protection from Creatures cannot be Mutated upon. It is important to recognize this rule as well:

702.16a. Protection is a static ability, written "Protection from [quality]." This quality is usually a color (as in "protection from black") but can be any characteristic value or information. If the quality happens to be a card name, it is treated as such only if the protection ability specifies that the quality is a name. If the quality is a card type, subtype, or supertype, the ability applies to sources that are permanents with that card type, subtype, or supertype and to any sources not on the battlefield that are of that card type, subtype, or supertype. This is an exception to rule 109.2.

This is called out because normally "creatures" would just mean a creature on the battlefield as anywhere else it is a "creature card" or (in Mutate's case) a "creature spell". This rule provides an exception for Protection to be protected against Spells and Triggers from Creature sources not on the battlefield. Which then flows into the rule you stated above.

TGambitG

I was fairly sure that was the case, but just wanted another brain on the topic just to make sure.

Thinks like the white pro creatures enchantments would be fun to slow down a mutate deck.. With the downside of letting them through your defenses.

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 3 years ago

TGambitG wrote:
3 years ago
I was fairly sure that was the case, but just wanted another brain on the topic just to make sure.

Thinks like the white pro creatures enchantments would be fun to slow down a mutate deck.. With the downside of letting them through your defenses.
You can use Stave Off to fizzle enemy creatures form mutating (this seems to be the only spell that grant protection to target creature you don't control)
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

TGambitG

CalebLost wrote:
3 years ago
TGambitG wrote:
3 years ago

You can use Stave Off to fizzle enemy creatures form mutating (this seems to be the only spell that grant protection to target creature you don't control)
On a related note, I love playing against Voltron decks with Tower of the Magistrate... with Arcane Lighthouse for those that have Lightning Greaves and such.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”