Mutate Entering

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

So, sorry I am so utterly confused by mutate. If I have a Risen Reef in play and mutate an elemental say... Illuna, Apex of Wishes onto another creature. Does Risen Reef see an ETB from Illuna? I am confused from the standpoint that Illuna is an elemental and reef doesn't care about creatures entering. I guess I don't really understand if mutate effects enter play or not.

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 3 years ago
A mutating creature spell that resolves doesn't enter the battlefield as a separate permanent, but rather it becomes part of the permanent it targets, changing that permanent's characteristics. And a permanent, already on the battlefield, whose characteristics have merely changed (whether by "mutating" or otherwise) doesn't "reenter the battlefield" this way (C.R. 110.1; for this case in particular, see C.R. 721.2a). Therefore, things that care about permanents entering the battlefield won't take "mutating" into account. In general, an object enters the battlefield if it formerly wasn't on the battlefield but is now there. See also this thread and this thread.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Maluko
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Maluko » 3 years ago

Mutating does not trigger enters-the-battlefield triggers, only mutate triggers. So your Risen Reef doesn't trigger.

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 3 years ago

A mutating creature spell that resolves doesn't enter the battlefield as a separate permanent, but rather it becomes part of the permanent it targets, changing that permanent's characteristics. And a permanent, already on the battlefield, whose characteristics have merely changed (whether by "mutating" or otherwise) doesn't "reenter the battlefield" this way (C.R. 110.1; for this case in particular, see C.R. 721.2a). Therefore, things that care about permanents entering the battlefield won't take "mutating" into account. In general, an object enters the battlefield if it formerly wasn't on the battlefield but is now there. See also this thread and this thread.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”