Zenith Flare and Deflecting Palm

ConstantMists
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ConstantMists » 3 years ago

My opponent has any arbitrary amount of life. He casts Zenith Flare and targets me, where X is an amount larger than his current life total. I respond with Deflecting Palm . No further spells are cast and both spells resolve.

I want to ensure that I understand the outcome of this. I would suppose that my opponent would end up with the same life total he started at when he cast his spell, but I want to ensure that there is no timing situation I am missing where my spell would damage him before he gains life from his and thereby kill him. Thanks

Accepted Answer

by user_938036 » 3 years ago
You are correct, their life total will effectively not change. The damage happens reducing their life total to some negative number but just like damage doesn't kill creatures, players don't lose by having 0 life. State based actions need to be checked but a spell is still resolving so they will gain life returning to some arbitrary positive number.
Go to full post
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

You are correct, their life total will effectively not change. The damage happens reducing their life total to some negative number but just like damage doesn't kill creatures, players don't lose by having 0 life. State based actions need to be checked but a spell is still resolving so they will gain life returning to some arbitrary positive number.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”