What does "this ability" mean (Ashling)

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

I control Ashling the Pilgrim and Quicksilver Elemental and use the Quicksilver ability to give it Ashling's activated ability. Then I activate Ashling's ability twice and the copy of the ability on Quicksilver once. Do I remove the counters from Ashling and does it deal damage? Do I remove the counters from Quicksilver and does it deal damage?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 3 years ago
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Then I activate Ashling's ability twice and the copy of the ability on Quicksilver once.
So, one ability has been activated (and allowed to resolve) twice, and another ability with a different source has been activated and allowed to resolve once. Those two abilities have very similar texts, but they are two abilities rather than one.
_Lorwyn_(TM) Frequently Asked Questions
Compiled by Mark L. Gottlieb, with contributions from Laurie Cheers, Jeff Jordan, and Lee Sharpe
Document last modified September 25, 2007

* When such an ability resolves, it counts the number of times that same ability from that same creature has already resolved that turn. It doesn't matter who controlled the creature or the previous abilities when they resolved. A copy of this ability (created by Rings of Brighthearth, for example) will count toward the total. Abilities from other creatures with the same name don't count towards the total. Neither does an ability that's been countered.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Do I remove the counters from Ashling and does it deal damage? Do I remove the counters from Quicksilver and does it deal damage?
No.
Go to full post
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Argus
Answers: 52
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Then I activate Ashling's ability twice and the copy of the ability on Quicksilver once.
So, one ability has been activated (and allowed to resolve) twice, and another ability with a different source has been activated and allowed to resolve once. Those two abilities have very similar texts, but they are two abilities rather than one.
_Lorwyn_(TM) Frequently Asked Questions
Compiled by Mark L. Gottlieb, with contributions from Laurie Cheers, Jeff Jordan, and Lee Sharpe
Document last modified September 25, 2007

* When such an ability resolves, it counts the number of times that same ability from that same creature has already resolved that turn. It doesn't matter who controlled the creature or the previous abilities when they resolved. A copy of this ability (created by Rings of Brighthearth, for example) will count toward the total. Abilities from other creatures with the same name don't count towards the total. Neither does an ability that's been countered.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Do I remove the counters from Ashling and does it deal damage? Do I remove the counters from Quicksilver and does it deal damage?
No.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”