"Becomes target" + multiple targets

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

I control a Bonecrusher Giant and an opponent casts Inner Calm, Outer Strength with a Kodama's Might spliced onto it, targeting two of their creatures. I Sideswipe and change both targets to Bonecrusher Giant. How many times does the ability of the Giant trigger?

Accepted Answer

by user_938036 » 3 years ago
It will only trigger once as it is only becoming the target of a spell once. It is being targeted multiple times but it is only a single spell targeting it in one event. A bit of clarity, even if you change the targets one at a time because it is the same spell it won't trigger the giant. This is because the giant's trigger event is "transitioning from the state of not being the target of a spell to being the target of a spell" if it is already the target of a spell, the spell targeting it again doesn't retrigger its ability
Go to full post
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

It will only trigger once as it is only becoming the target of a spell once. It is being targeted multiple times but it is only a single spell targeting it in one event. A bit of clarity, even if you change the targets one at a time because it is the same spell it won't trigger the giant. This is because the giant's trigger event is "transitioning from the state of not being the target of a spell to being the target of a spell" if it is already the target of a spell, the spell targeting it again doesn't retrigger its ability

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”