Najeela and Jegantha

Guerte
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guerte » 4 years ago

I want to make sure I understand this interaction:

With Najeela, the Blade Blossom and Jegantha, the Wellspring, if you attack with both, use WUBRG from other sources to activate Najeela, you can then proceed to go infinite combats, but it wouldn't do any good unless you give vigilance or have a way to untap, like with Reconnaissance, correct?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
Najeela's activated ability will untap all attacking creatures (including Najeela and Jegantha in this scenario), but they will remain attacking creatures --- they aren't removed from combat like with Reconnaissance's ability. You can activate Najeela's ability at any time during combat, whether before or after creatures assign combat damage, and even during the end of combat step.

However, if Jegantha attacks, it will necessarily become tapped, so that its mana ability can't be activated to further the combo you speak of. And if Jegantha doesn't attack and is untapped, its mana ability can be activated, but it won't be an attacking creature for the purposes of Najeela's activated ability.
Go to full post
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color
Daretti Primer Omnath Yarok
Gonti Primer Ezuri Aminatou

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

Najeela's activated ability will untap all attacking creatures (including Najeela and Jegantha in this scenario), but they will remain attacking creatures --- they aren't removed from combat like with Reconnaissance's ability. You can activate Najeela's ability at any time during combat, whether before or after creatures assign combat damage, and even during the end of combat step.

However, if Jegantha attacks, it will necessarily become tapped, so that its mana ability can't be activated to further the combo you speak of. And if Jegantha doesn't attack and is untapped, its mana ability can be activated, but it won't be an attacking creature for the purposes of Najeela's activated ability.
Last edited by peteroupc 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Guerte
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guerte » 4 years ago

This was the explanation I gave online:
Ok, let's break this down, step by step (I'm not a judge, but a rules advisor, and am in no way saying I'm correct, but I think I have an idea how this goes):

1) Let's say you have five lands that make WUBRG, Najeela, and Jegantha out, nothing else.

2) Move to combat, declaring Najeela and Jegantha as attackers, creating a tapped/attacking warrior token from Najeela. Then the active player (you) gets priority first, so you use the lands to activate Najeela, untapping her, Jegantha, and the token. All three are untapped and still technically attacking, since Najeela doesn't remove them from combat.

3) Once that ability resolves, you receive priority again, still in the declare attackers step of your first combat phase, and can proceed one of two ways:

A. You move through your first combat into your second. You can attack with all three creatures, creating two more warrior tokens, and that will be the end of your extra combats. Or you can attack with Najeela and the warrior token, creating two more warrior tokens, then activate Najeela using mana from Jegantha, untapping Najeela and the three tokens, creating an extra combat step, but Jegantha remains tapped and after your third combat, you are done with extra combats.

B. You activate Najeela using Jegantha's mana ability, untapping Jegantha (since he is still technically an attacking creature) and creating an additional combat step. You can repeat this for infinite combat phases. Move from your first combat to your second combat, and once you attack, those creatures are going to remain tapped unless you can someone give them vigilance, or a way to untap them, since Najeela is the one that untaps them when her ability is activated, not when you go to your next combat phase.

So, the TL;DR version is this: yes, you can create infinite combats with Najeela and Jegantha, but without a source outside of those two cards giving vigilance or untapping creatures, the infinite combat steps really don't matter.
Current Commanders:
Mono2 Color3+Color
Daretti Primer Omnath Yarok
Gonti Primer Ezuri Aminatou

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”