Mutating a Gideon planeswalker

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Yes another mutate question, surprise surprise.

The Gideon planeswalkers can become creatures during your turn. If you mutate a creature on top, can you still use the planeswalker abilities?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago

The Gideon planeswalkers can become creatures during your turn. If you mutate a creature on top, can you still use the planeswalker [sic] abilities?
First, I'll assume your Gideon planeswalker creature either is Gideon, the Oathsworn or has somehow lost the Human creature subtype (because the target with Mutate has to be a non-Human creature you own).

As to your question, the article states that the resulting creature "will have all the characteristics of the top card, and it will also have the abilities of every card underneath" (emphasis mine). I see nothing to suggest that loyalty abilities (or any other abilities obtained from a non-creature card) would be removed or otherwise nullified.
Go to full post

Argus
Answers: 53
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago

The Gideon planeswalkers can become creatures during your turn. If you mutate a creature on top, can you still use the planeswalker [sic] abilities?
First, I'll assume your Gideon planeswalker creature either is Gideon, the Oathsworn or has somehow lost the Human creature subtype (because the target with Mutate has to be a non-Human creature you own).

As to your question, the article states that the resulting creature "will have all the characteristics of the top card, and it will also have the abilities of every card underneath" (emphasis mine). I see nothing to suggest that loyalty abilities (or any other abilities obtained from a non-creature card) would be removed or otherwise nullified.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Argus wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago

Ahh, that's true, the old Human clause keeps getting me.

Sarkhan the Masterless would be the better example then.

But I'm still wondering if you can use "planeswalker" abilities when its now simply just a creature?

When using Sarkhan the Masterless in normal play, the are both a creature and a planeswalker, so this doesn't set the precedence.

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
When using Sarkhan the Masterless in normal play, the are both a creature and a planeswalker, so this doesn't set the precedence.
To be clear, they are *not* planeswalkers after Sarkhan's ability resolves. So it absolutely sets the precedent :)

Yes, nonplaneswalkers can use Loyalty abilities. Kraj has been doing it for years. As long as you have the requisite counters for any minus abilities, or use a plus ability, you are fine to activate one once on your turn, in your main phase, when the stack is empty.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”