Mutate and the "pile" returning from graveyard

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I was reading some of this AMA =>

And this question was answered,
If my mutation pile has persist (and no counter on it), will all the cards from the pile return with -1/-1 counters or only whichever card contributed the persist ability?
They all return with counters.

So my question is what happens with some of the Gods that get returned at end of turn, like The Locust God?

Would all the creatures in the mutation get returned at end of turn?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
In general, if an effect can find an object a merged permanent becomes in the zone it goes to, it finds all the objects that the cards and tokens that made up that permanent become in that zone. Accordingly, where The Locust God says "it" and "its" (in "return it to its owner's hand"), it means all the cards that made up The Locust God (to the extent they're still in their owners' graveyards).

EDIT (Apr. 11): Correctness edit in view of release notes.
Go to full post

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

In general, if an effect can find an object a merged permanent becomes in the zone it goes to, it finds all the objects that the cards and tokens that made up that permanent become in that zone. Accordingly, where The Locust God says "it" and "its" (in "return it to its owner's hand"), it means all the cards that made up The Locust God (to the extent they're still in their owners' graveyards).

EDIT (Apr. 11): Correctness edit in view of release notes.

DementedKirby
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

I know this was asked a week ago, but I would like some clarification - just to make sure I understood the answer. Let's say I have a huge mutated pile and Immortal Phoenix is a part of it. Do all cards that made up that pile return to my hand when the mutated creature dies?
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

Argus
Answers: 52
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 4 years ago

DementedKirby wrote:
4 years ago
I know this was asked a week ago, but I would like some clarification - just to make sure I understood the answer. Let's say I have a huge mutated pile and Immortal Phoenix is a part of it. Do all cards that made up that pile return to my hand when the mutated creature dies?
Yes.
721.3c If an effect can find the new object that a merged permanent becomes as it leaves the
battlefield, it finds all of those objects. (See rule 400.7.) If that effect causes actions to be taken
upon those objects, the same actions are taken upon each of them.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”