Mutating Gods

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

Say I have Nylea, Keen-Eyed and I mutate Archipelagore on top of it, then later my devotion to green drops below 5. What do I have on the battlefield?

What if mutating the Archipelagore is what causes my devotion to green to drop below 5? Is there any difference?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
The result will be a permanent with no card types (Archipelagore's only card type is creature, which the mutated permanent has only while "your devotion to green" is five or greater). The permanent will still be named Archipelagore, still be blue, and still have Archipelagore's usual abilities (and Nylea's usual abilities).

According to the mechanics article for Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, a mutating creature spell (e.g., Archipelagore here) doesn't enter the battlefield; rather, it merely changes a permanent's characteristics (e.g., those of Nylea here) when it resolves. The change will apply regardless of whether the permanent is otherwise a creature. In any case, a mutating creature spell checks whether the target is a "non-Human creature you own" before it starts to change that target's characteristics if the target is legal (C.R. 608.2b). Once the spell finds the target is legal, it will change those characteristics even if doing so renders the target illegal (see also this thread).

See also this thread and this thread.
Go to full post

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

The result will be a permanent with no card types (Archipelagore's only card type is creature, which the mutated permanent has only while "your devotion to green" is five or greater). The permanent will still be named Archipelagore, still be blue, and still have Archipelagore's usual abilities (and Nylea's usual abilities).

According to the mechanics article for Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths, a mutating creature spell (e.g., Archipelagore here) doesn't enter the battlefield; rather, it merely changes a permanent's characteristics (e.g., those of Nylea here) when it resolves. The change will apply regardless of whether the permanent is otherwise a creature. In any case, a mutating creature spell checks whether the target is a "non-Human creature you own" before it starts to change that target's characteristics if the target is legal (C.R. 608.2b). Once the spell finds the target is legal, it will change those characteristics even if doing so renders the target illegal (see also this thread).

See also this thread and this thread.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”