Morphs and damage dealt/taken

ChazA4
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ChazA4 » 4 years ago

So, I've been thinking about switching out some cards in my Kadena deck, one of which is Angry Garruk. A devious idea came to mind that I want to double check if it can work, and how I have to do it to make it work if possible.

So let's say I have a Morph(2/2) on the field. I drop Angry Garruk, and activate his 'fight' ability on the morph. Is there ANY window where I can flip the morph and get the two damage on Garruk without losing my morph in the process? I know the 3 damage from Garruk will remain, but say I flipped an Aerie Bowmasters...would Garruk be taking the two damage from the morph, or would he end up taking the 3(4?) damage from the now revealed bowmasters? And, for completionist's sake, the 3 damage from Garruk would resolve as 3 on the morph(killing it), or the bowmasters(thus letting it survive)?

Accepted Answer

by user_938036 » 4 years ago
No, what you are asking is impossible. The damage is all being dealt as part of a single ability with no chance for interaction in between steps. Either you will take 2 damage and kill the morph(ignoring regenerate and indestructible) or you will take the damage from the front side in this case 4.
Go to full post

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

No, what you are asking is impossible. The damage is all being dealt as part of a single ability with no chance for interaction in between steps. Either you will take 2 damage and kill the morph(ignoring regenerate and indestructible) or you will take the damage from the front side in this case 4.
Last edited by user_938036 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

For the purposes of Garruk's first loyalty ability, you check what power the targeted creature has when it resolves, not when you activate that ability (C.R. 608.2c). Thus, for example, if that ability resolves with a legal target (e.g., that target is still a creature) (C.R. 608.2b), that creature will deal damage equal to its power, taking into account everything that changed that power, including turning a face-down creature face up.

Note also that the effect is not the same as fighting; Garruk and the targeted creature don't deal damage to each other at the same time (C.R. 608.2c; review C.R. 701.12). This is relevant if, for example, Garruk has infect or wither or is treated as having either ability, since either ability can reduce the creature's power in time to affect the amount of damage the creature deals (C.R. 120.3d, 122.1a).

ChazA4

Post by ChazA4 » 4 years ago

Well, ****. Thought I had a slick idea here, given that morphs can flip just about any time. Oh well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”