Heliod vs Mortarpod

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, for example my opponent has Heliod, Sun-Crowned + Spike Feeder with 2 +1/+1 counters on it in play. When opponent starts to do the combo by removing a counter from feeder... can I respond by sacrifice the germ of my mortarpod to kill the feeder before heliod can put a counter on it, so the combo is stopped?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 4 years ago
Yes. Your opponent will activate the ability and as a result immediately after the cost is paid have a 1/1 Spike Feeder; activating the Mortarpod equipped creature's ability with that activated ability on the stack will cause the Spike to take lethal damage and then die before its activated ability can resolve, and Heliod, Sun-Crowned's ability will still trigger but obviously cannot target the dead Spike. The end result will be 2 life gained for your opponent and one +1/+1 counter on your opponent's creature or enchantment.
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Yes. Your opponent will activate the ability and as a result immediately after the cost is paid have a 1/1 Spike Feeder; activating the Mortarpod equipped creature's ability with that activated ability on the stack will cause the Spike to take lethal damage and then die before its activated ability can resolve, and Heliod, Sun-Crowned's ability will still trigger but obviously cannot target the dead Spike. The end result will be 2 life gained for your opponent and one +1/+1 counter on your opponent's creature or enchantment.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for the clarification. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”