Sevinne - which spell is 'first'?

Settemio
Triviamonger
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Settemio » 4 years ago

If I control Sevinne, the Chronoclasm and cast Finale of Promise (X < 10) targeting an instant and a sorcery, which one gets copied? Is it the one put on the stack first, meaning if I chose to put the sorcery on the stack first it would look like (Sorcery (Instant (Copy of Sorcery)))? Is it always the instant because the instant is referenced first in Finale's text? Or am I free to choose the order and also choose which one is copied independent of that?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
If you cast both an instant and a sorcery card with Finale of Promise, you choose the order in which you do so (see also C.R. 101.4). (Note that if an effect would have a player cast more than one spell at once, that player nevertheless casts them one at a time, since casting a spell is a multistep process [C.R. 601.2].) See also this thread. If the first spell you cast this way is the "first instant or sorcery spell [you've cast] from your graveyard [this] turn", Sevinne's ability will trigger for that spell.
Go to full post

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BaronCappuccino » 4 years ago

The spell you cast goes on the stack. The copy goes on the stack. The copy resolves. The original resolves.

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

If you cast both an instant and a sorcery card with Finale of Promise, you choose the order in which you do so (see also C.R. 101.4). (Note that if an effect would have a player cast more than one spell at once, that player nevertheless casts them one at a time, since casting a spell is a multistep process [C.R. 601.2].) See also this thread. If the first spell you cast this way is the "first instant or sorcery spell [you've cast] from your graveyard [this] turn", Sevinne's ability will trigger for that spell.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”