Flickerform and Surgeon General Warning

DementedKirby
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

Is "attaching an aura" to a creature the same as "enchanting a creature"? The example I have in mind is with Flickerform. Surgeon General Commander says I draw a card whenever I enchant a creature. But some auras can be attached. Will this still trigger his ability?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
Both the comprehensive rules and Magic cards other than "silver-bordered" cards speak only of an Aura, not of a player, "enchanting" an object or player (C.R. 303.4, especially C.R. 303.4b; see also Glamer Spinners). Whether a player "attaching" a permanent to a creature (review C.R. 701.3) is the same as that player "enchanting" that creature as far as Surgeon Commander is concerned, is a matter to be agreed on by the players in the game.

In general, in a game allowing "silver-bordered" cards such as those in Unglued, Unhinged, and Unstable, the players in the game can agree on modifications to the comprehensive rules ("house rules") to accommodate situations that the comprehensive rules neither regulate nor answer and that are unique to such cards (see also C.R. 100.7). Although Mark Rosewater issues "rulings" on how certain game situations unique to such cards play out, such advice is no more or less valid than the "house rules" agreed to by the players (that is, such players can agree whether to adopt such "rulings" or not).
Go to full post
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Rulings as such can't apply to silver bordered cards.

However, for an Aura, "attach" and "enchant" are synonymous. Attaching an Aura to something is enchanting it.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

Both the comprehensive rules and Magic cards other than "silver-bordered" cards speak only of an Aura, not of a player, "enchanting" an object or player (C.R. 303.4, especially C.R. 303.4b; see also Glamer Spinners). Whether a player "attaching" a permanent to a creature (review C.R. 701.3) is the same as that player "enchanting" that creature as far as Surgeon Commander is concerned, is a matter to be agreed on by the players in the game.

In general, in a game allowing "silver-bordered" cards such as those in Unglued, Unhinged, and Unstable, the players in the game can agree on modifications to the comprehensive rules ("house rules") to accommodate situations that the comprehensive rules neither regulate nor answer and that are unique to such cards (see also C.R. 100.7). Although Mark Rosewater issues "rulings" on how certain game situations unique to such cards play out, such advice is no more or less valid than the "house rules" agreed to by the players (that is, such players can agree whether to adopt such "rulings" or not).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”