Archangel of Thune question

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, I have spike feeder on the field with only one +1/+1 counter on it. Cast Archangel of Thune. Can I start the angel feeder combo by remove a counter from the feeder.. or would it die right away, before the angel can put a +1/+1 counter on it?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Hi, I have spike feeder on the field with only one +1/+1 counter on it. Cast Archangel of Thune. Can I start the angel feeder combo by remove a counter from the feeder.. or would it die right away, before the angel can put a +1/+1 counter on it?
It would die promptly. The sequence with a Spike Feeder with one +1/+1 counter and an Archangel of Thune as your only creatures would be something like this:
  1. Your main phase begins.
  2. You get priority and activate the "Remove a +1/+1 counter from Spike Feeder: You gain 2 life." ability of Spike Feeder. You pay the cost by removing its +1/+1 counter.
  3. You would get priority, but there is a state-based action to perform. Your Spike Feeder has 0 toughness and is put into your graveyard.
  4. You get priority and pass.
  5. Opponent gets priority and passes.
  6. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 2) resolves. You gain 2 life. This triggers the ability of Archangel of Thune.
  7. You would get priority, but there is a triggered ability to put on the stack. You put "Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control." on the stack.
  8. You get priority and pass.
  9. Opponent gets priority and passes.
  10. The top object on the stack (the ability put there in step 7) resolves. Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control (now just the Archangel of Thune).
  11. You get priority and ....
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Argus
Answers: 52
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
It would die promptly. The sequence with a Spike Feeder with one +1/+1 counter and an Archangel of Thune as your only creatures would be something like this:
  1. Your main phase begins.
  2. You get priority and activate the "Remove a +1/+1 counter from Spike Feeder: You gain 2 life." ability of Spike Feeder. You pay the cost by removing its +1/+1 counter.
  3. You would get priority, but there is a state-based action to perform. Your Spike Feeder has 0 toughness and is put into your graveyard.
  4. You get priority and pass.
  5. Opponent gets priority and passes.
  6. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 2) resolves. You gain 2 life. This triggers the ability of Archangel of Thune.
  7. You would get priority, but there is a triggered ability to put on the stack. You put "Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control." on the stack.
  8. You get priority and pass.
  9. Opponent gets priority and passes.
  10. The top object on the stack (the ability put there in step 7) resolves. Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control (now just the Archangel of Thune).
  11. You get priority and ....
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for the explanation on that. :)
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”