knight combo how it works

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, sorry to make another thread but I need just to be cleared on this.

when I'm using knight of the reliquary + retreat to coralhelm combo..

questions:

1. When I tap the knight sac a land to get a land. The opponent can respond before the searched land comes into play? Or they can respond only after the searched land has entered the battelefield?

2. When a land etb, the opponent can respond to retreat to coralhelm untapping ability only after the land has entered, is this correct?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
1. When I tap the knight sac a land to get a land. The opponent can respond before the searched land comes into play?
Absolutely. The ability will not resolve until all players have passed priority. When the opponent gets priority, they can do something with it, same as always.
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
2. When a land etb, the opponent can respond to retreat to coralhelm untapping ability only after the land has entered, is this correct?
It's not clear what you are asking. The trigger condition is "Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control". If the land hasn't entered yet, then the ability hasn't triggered.

Consider the following sequence for both questions.
  1. Your main phase begins.
  2. You get priority and activate the "T, Sacrifice a Forest or Plains: Search your library for a land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library." ability of Knight of the Reliquary. You pay the cost by sacrificing a Forest or Plains and tapping Knight of the Reliquary (in either order).
  3. You get priority and pass.
  4. Opponent gets priority and could respond, but I'll say they pass to get on with the rest of this example.
  5. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 2) resolves. You search your library for a land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. The placement of the land card triggers the ability of Retreat to Coralhelm; the ability had no reason to trigger before that.
  6. You would get priority, but there is a triggered ability to put on the stack. You put "Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, choose one —
    • You may tap or untap target creature.
    • Scry 1. " onto the stack. For the sake of this example, I'll assume you choose the first mode and target your Knight of the Reliquary.
  7. You get priority and pass.
  8. Opponent gets priority and has another opportunity to respond, but I'll say they pass again.
  9. The top object on the stack (the ability put there in step 6) resolves. You untap your Knight of the Reliquary.
  10. You get priority and ....
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Argus
Answers: 52
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Argus » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
1. When I tap the knight sac a land to get a land. The opponent can respond before the searched land comes into play?
Absolutely. The ability will not resolve until all players have passed priority. When the opponent gets priority, they can do something with it, same as always.
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
It's not clear what you are asking. The trigger condition is "Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control". If the land hasn't entered yet, then the ability hasn't triggered.

Consider the following sequence for both questions.
  1. Your main phase begins.
  2. You get priority and activate the "T, Sacrifice a Forest or Plains: Search your library for a land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library." ability of Knight of the Reliquary. You pay the cost by sacrificing a Forest or Plains and tapping Knight of the Reliquary (in either order).
  3. You get priority and pass.
  4. Opponent gets priority and could respond, but I'll say they pass to get on with the rest of this example.
  5. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 2) resolves. You search your library for a land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. The placement of the land card triggers the ability of Retreat to Coralhelm; the ability had no reason to trigger before that.
  6. You would get priority, but there is a triggered ability to put on the stack. You put "Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, choose one —
    • You may tap or untap target creature.
    • Scry 1. " onto the stack. For the sake of this example, I'll assume you choose the first mode and target your Knight of the Reliquary.
  7. You get priority and pass.
  8. Opponent gets priority and has another opportunity to respond, but I'll say they pass again.
  9. The top object on the stack (the ability put there in step 6) resolves. You untap your Knight of the Reliquary.
  10. You get priority and ....
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for that step by step description of how things go. :)

Added this thread to favorites, as a future reference if I get into some confusion later.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”