Illusionary Mask

Locked Previous topicNext topic
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Can we explain how Illusionary Mask works, and how exactly it's different from the newer, cleaner version in Scroll of Fate?

T: Manifest a creature card from your hand.
X: pay an amount and pur a creature card from your hand on the battlefield face down.

Mask goes on to state on it's Oracle rulings if you don't pay it's mana costs, then all penalties associated with casting a creature illegally apply. But it flips over automatically if it attacks, deals/receives damage, or otherwise taps? I'm getting a lot of mixed signals here, and this is a very expensive card I'd like to be 💯 clear on before utilizing.

Simply, what happens if I utilize the Mask with, say, Astral Slide? Does this work precisely as you'd think it works just by reading it? Can I, say, activate Mask for X = 0, put Drakuseth, Maw of Flames on the board face down, then cycle Street Wraith for free to trigger Slide and "flip" my face down Dragon?

I'm understanding this correctly, right?

Accepted Answer

by Argus » 4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Can I, say, activate Mask for X = 0, put Drakuseth, Maw of Flames on the board face down,
No, 4RRR could not be paid by some or all of 0. If this happens in a tournament, the infraction is "Game Play Error — Game Rule Violation", which starts as a Warning (assuming the judge concludes that it was an accident).
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
then cycle Street Wraith for free
2 life is "free"?
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
to trigger Slide and "flip" my face down Dragon?
The Dragon getting revealed is merely when the earlier game rule violation comes to light, it does not erase that violation.
Go to full post

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Can I, say, activate Mask for X = 0, put Drakuseth, Maw of Flames on the board face down,
No, 4RRR could not be paid by some or all of 0. If this happens in a tournament, the infraction is "Game Play Error — Game Rule Violation", which starts as a Warning (assuming the judge concludes that it was an accident).
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
then cycle Street Wraith for free
2 life is "free"?
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
to trigger Slide and "flip" my face down Dragon?
The Dragon getting revealed is merely when the earlier game rule violation comes to light, it does not erase that violation.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

3drinks

Okay. So can you explain to me the step-by-step process I'd have to follow to make my above example legal?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

It's never a legal play to pay for a creature spell using Illusionary Mask and pay less than that spell's full mana cost. You can conceal what you're playing by paying a different amount than it costs, but you must overpay, you can't underpay.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

3drinks

So that's the whole gimmick? You overpay on stuff to keep them guessing? All these years...

Thanks for saving me THAT buy-in.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Indeed, Illusionary Mask is expensive to buy because it is a Reserved card that was last printed in Unlimited, not because of any exceptionally powerful effects it has. (I'm going to lock this topic now, it having been answered, to prevent myself from spamming this forum with off topic advice.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”