Yarok and Clone Legion

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

For reference:

Let's say I've got a pretty full board of creatures with ETB effects, as well as Yarok itself. When I cast Clone Legion targeting myself, will the new clone token Yarok allow an additional set of ETB triggers before the Legend rule causes it to die?

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
Yes. The tokens created with Clone Legion are created simultaneously (generally, actions of the form "for each ..., do this" happen simultaneously; see also this thread), so they will enter the battlefield at the same time. And any enters-the-battlefield ability of those permanents will trigger accordingly, depending on the state of the game after those permanents enter the battlefield, including how many instances of Yarok's last ability exist among permanents under your control (C.R. 101.1, 603.6c, 603.10, 113.2c; Yarok's last ability overrides C.R. 603.2c in part). This happens during the resolution of Clone Legion, so well before it finishes resolving and the legend rule kicks in (C.R. 608.2c, 117.3b, 117.5, 704.5j).

For example, say you control one Yarok, one Venerable Monk, and one Primal Forcemage. When Clone Legion creates tokens that are copies of them, you will thus control two Yaroks, two Venerable Monks, and two Primal Forcemages. Since you control two Yaroks---
  • the entering Venerable Monk's ability will trigger three times (not just once or twice), and
  • the entering Primal Forcemage's ability will trigger six times (three times for each other creature entering the battlefield under your control, here the entering Yarok and the entering Venerable Monk [C.R. 109.5]).
After that, Clone Legion goes to the graveyard (C.R. 608.3k), then since you control two legendary permanents named Yarok, the Desecrated, one of them of your choice goes to the graveyard due to the legend rule (C.R. 117.5, 704.5j).

EDIT (Jan. 13): Add rule citations; correctness edit.
Go to full post
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

peteroupc
Answers: 31

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

Yes. The tokens created with Clone Legion are created simultaneously (generally, actions of the form "for each ..., do this" happen simultaneously; see also this thread), so they will enter the battlefield at the same time. And any enters-the-battlefield ability of those permanents will trigger accordingly, depending on the state of the game after those permanents enter the battlefield, including how many instances of Yarok's last ability exist among permanents under your control (C.R. 101.1, 603.6c, 603.10, 113.2c; Yarok's last ability overrides C.R. 603.2c in part). This happens during the resolution of Clone Legion, so well before it finishes resolving and the legend rule kicks in (C.R. 608.2c, 117.3b, 117.5, 704.5j).

For example, say you control one Yarok, one Venerable Monk, and one Primal Forcemage. When Clone Legion creates tokens that are copies of them, you will thus control two Yaroks, two Venerable Monks, and two Primal Forcemages. Since you control two Yaroks---
  • the entering Venerable Monk's ability will trigger three times (not just once or twice), and
  • the entering Primal Forcemage's ability will trigger six times (three times for each other creature entering the battlefield under your control, here the entering Yarok and the entering Venerable Monk [C.R. 109.5]).
After that, Clone Legion goes to the graveyard (C.R. 608.3k), then since you control two legendary permanents named Yarok, the Desecrated, one of them of your choice goes to the graveyard due to the legend rule (C.R. 117.5, 704.5j).

EDIT (Jan. 13): Add rule citations; correctness edit.
Last edited by peteroupc 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

I thought as much, but wanted a more elegant and ironclad explanation for when it inevitably comes up. Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”