Lavinia, Mu Yanling, Thragtusk

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Several questions. Sorry, put all into one thread.

1. If I use Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer +2 ability to do a -2/-0 on someone's arclight phoenix. Opponent uses fry to kill my walker. Is the arclight phoenix still get -2/-0 and lose flying until my next turn, even though my walker is gone?

2. I blink thragtusk at end step with soulherder ability. Would tusk be able to attack on my next turn, or would it be summoning sick because I blinked it at my last end step with herder?

3. I cast Lavinia of the tenth, detain all my opponent's three prized amalgam. He get rid of lavinia with some removal. When I take my next turn, would the amalgams still be detained and unable to block even if lavinia left the battlefield?

4. Can an Awoken Horror be detained by Lavinia?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 4 years ago
1) Yes, why wouldn't it? This is true whether or not the ability has resolved before Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer leaves the battlefield. Abilities on the stack are independent of their sources.

2) Summoning sickness would not apply because the Thragtusk would be under your control at the start of your following turn. What happened to it the previous turn does not matter.

3) Of course they would, for the same reason as number 1.

4) A double-faced card's converted mana cost is calculated using the mana cost of its front face (CR 711.4b). Two is clearly less than four because Thing in the Ice's CMC is 2, so yes, it's detainable. However, even if this rule WEREN'T in place, back faces have no mana cost, and without this rule the CMC would be zero, which is ALSO less than four.
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

1) Yes, why wouldn't it? This is true whether or not the ability has resolved before Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer leaves the battlefield. Abilities on the stack are independent of their sources.

2) Summoning sickness would not apply because the Thragtusk would be under your control at the start of your following turn. What happened to it the previous turn does not matter.

3) Of course they would, for the same reason as number 1.

4) A double-faced card's converted mana cost is calculated using the mana cost of its front face (CR 711.4b). Two is clearly less than four because Thing in the Ice's CMC is 2, so yes, it's detainable. However, even if this rule WEREN'T in place, back faces have no mana cost, and without this rule the CMC would be zero, which is ALSO less than four.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for these answers. Screen shot done and will be printed in bond paper, as these involve cards that I'm actively using in pioneer and modern. Would be useful should a dispute arise in our playgroup.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”