Vesperlark and Tarmogoyf

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, for example I have a tarmogoyf in the graveyard. My vesperlark on the field dies. Is tarmogoyf power a 0 when it is in the yard? Can I use lark ability to return it to play?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 4 years ago
That depends on what's in everyone's graveyard. Since Tarmogoyf has what's called a characteristic-defining ability setting its power and toughness (604.3), its power in all zones is equal to the number of card types among cards in graveyards. If the 'goyf is the only card in any graveyard then absolutely it has 1 power.

Contrast e.g. Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar, whose power and toughness are increased on the battlefield by an ordinary static ability; he's a 0/0 on every zone that ISN'T the battlefield.
Go to full post
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

That depends on what's in everyone's graveyard. Since Tarmogoyf has what's called a characteristic-defining ability setting its power and toughness (604.3), its power in all zones is equal to the number of card types among cards in graveyards. If the 'goyf is the only card in any graveyard then absolutely it has 1 power.

Contrast e.g. Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar, whose power and toughness are increased on the battlefield by an ordinary static ability; he's a 0/0 on every zone that ISN'T the battlefield.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Depends on other things in yards. Tarmogoyf's power is the same in all zones.

The ability that defines Tarmogoyf's power and toughness works in all zones, not just the battlefield. If Tarmogoyf is in your graveyard, it will count itself.
(2018-12-07)
If goyf is in the yard it's a 1/2 if nothing else is in any yards. When the vesperlark dies it will still be a 1/2 unless other things are in the yard. Vesperlark's ability will see itself in the yard for determining Goyf's power of course since it's in the yard when the ability goes on the stack -- but that is irrelevant since it's the same type as goyf.

This is kinda like how a phantasmal image copying reveillark can bring itself back (since the image is in the yard when the ability goes on the stack).

Might be missing some context to your question there but the crux of your question I think is is Goyf's power 0 in other zones (kinda like Knight of the reliquary's ability is only active when it's on the field) and it is the same in all zones.

---------------------------------------------------

Ultimately if it's the only thing in the yard you can get it since it has 1 power.
Last edited by pokken 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

One more thing that's not relevant in and of itself to the Vesperlark interaction and that pokken and I have been dancing around: It's impossible for a Tarmogoyf card in a graveyard to have 0 power. It will effectively count itself and thus always get +1 to base power and toughness for being a creature card in a graveyard.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Their interaction is not as good as I had hoped. Removed lark from my deck.

Anyway, I learned something new today. Thanks both for the detailed explanation.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”